hygrophila pinnatifida?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, today I got a tiny start of this (potentially) awesome plant...if I can grow it well enough. I know it was "rare & oh so cool" a year & a half ago...so how is anyone growing it? Tanker, Robert H? Did you get some going? How'd you do it?

I have it floating in a 2 x 54w HO T5 55g, no CO2, for now. From what I've read that may be good enough for slowish growth & that'd be fine...I hope! I don't want any really high maintenance growth, just a pretty plant...without dirt & other finicky stuff. Did I bully the "new kid" into sharing a plant I have no hope of growing, lol? Planted or on wood? Ferts levels? Help please, I'd hate to kill it & have to admit it next meet.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I called my friend and he said his is not doing very well. He only had 2 plants to begin with. I have not been over to see for myself.

His set-up is basicly like my set-up. PC (at about 3.5 watts per gal) and CO2.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks for asking your friend, tanker. Mine seems to be ok for now, a tiny bit of growth but I haven't checked any params in quite a while, Has anyone tried the "tie to wood" technique? It seems strange for any hygro...but what do I know? I think it may be reclassified into a different species/genus eventually, it's really different from the hygros I've known...

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I would say to plant it as soon as you can. I've had some floating and it didn't really care for that. Those that are in the substrate are doing well. Granted I do inject CO2 and dose dry ferts though. It can grow big, but do not shade it. I can say for me at least, it doesn't like it. My floaters took control of the area of the tank where it was planted and it started screaming at me. Once they were removed, it's happy again. :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it's been almost 2 years since I lost track of the tiny piece I had, probably "filter fodder". So when my lfs had it on sale 4 stems for $4 I decided to try again with bigger pieces & at least 2 with better roots. So far, so good after a couple months, fingers crossed. I put 2 stems in 2 different tanks, a 55g with 2 x 54w T-5 HOs, no CO2 & a 20g long with 1 T-5 HO, again, no CO2. Growth is very slow but there is some! 1 stem has 2 small but leafy side shoots; 2 have new leaves & 1 keeps getting uprooted although it has some short roots & the best reddish color, probably since it's always close to the light & atmospheric CO2. It would likely be even happier if only I was better at regular ferts.

Anyway, I wanted to say since the price has come down to regular-folk affordability, it's definitely worth trying in medium light & my gobies like to perch on the leaves, so cute!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
More side shoots with pink stemmed offshoots appearing from 2 other stems, 1 in both tanks. I'm thinking (hoping) it's happy! Almost to the 20g long tank top, man, is this slow growing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store