Horned angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Himekp

AC Members
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago
Hello, I purchased an angelfish that appears to have a horn about a month ago. I did puchase it from a Meijer, but a friend of mine actually manages the fish area for that specific store and does a really good job with it. I had them keep the angel for a couple weeks to make sure he/she was eating and all was well as well as I did a thorough QT. The angel does great and is growing well, but I was wondering if anyone thinks this might be a problem in the future? Also, any opinions of how this might have happened? My friend thinks it might be a bite from when the angel was little, maybe hopped into another tank or bad parents? Genetic defect?
100_6276.JPG100_6273.JPG

100_6276.JPG 100_6273.JPG

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yes, the fish is deformed. Probably should have been culled when it was still a fry. If it seems otherwise healthy and is doing fine, then I wouldn't worry about.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
that's one of those keepers. it looks amazing!

have you thought about breeding it in case it's a genetic pop up?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
interesting! genetic deformity or juvenile injury. either way, as long as it isn't affecting the quality of life for the fish, i say enjoy your unique rhino fish.

Himekp

AC Members
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago
Either way, it has a horn! Glabe, never thought about breeding him, I might raise a clutch to see what I get now, but that's in the future.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually you shouldn't breed this fishs. I have one that is missing ventral fins and has a missing upper lip he eats well and has been active for 4 years but he'll never breed.
this one either has a genetic deformity or was injured very young.
I would not encourage breeding if it is a deformity

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store