New 55 gallon setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Im going to setup a new 55 gallon reef tank in the upcoming months. I have now got it planned...apart from the fish. Right now i have two ideas. I need u guys to gimme an advice on them n help me choose

1st idea - small dither fish
pair of false perc clown
1 flame angel
1 yasha goby + randall shrimp
1 helfrichi firefish
a pair of mccosker's flasher wrasse/ a pair of hawaiin flame wrasse
1 black cap basslet
1 yellowtail damsel
and one more fish from below
6 line wrasse/radiant wrasse/solorensis wrasse/ mystery wrasse

2nd idea-
1 purple tang
1 flame angel
a pair of mccosker's flasher wrasse/ a pair of hawaiin flame wrasse
1 yasha goby n randall shrimp
1 false perc clown
1 yellowtail damsel

Share ur thoughts on this...

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
55g is to small to permanently house an adult tang.

I would also consider a tiger over randall shrimp, randall's are somewhat shy as it is and pairing with a crytpic goby your likely to hardly ever see him.

I'm not a fan of damsel's they can be pretty aggressive, especially towards any new fish added.

The wrasse I don't know much about, 6 lines can be aggressive towards other wrasse i do know though.

Some of them are jumpers make sure you include some sort of cover in your plans.

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
But dont u think Randalls are more colourful tho? i like the colours of yt damsels. I agree with the 6 line wrasse...is it gnna kill my goby? Yeh im gnna get a lid

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Randall's and Tiger have similar markings the randalls are usually more of a bright red, where as the tiger ranges from flat red to brownish. Either will pair with a yasha I just think that the tiger will be more visible and active. Make the Damsel the last fish you add, and the Angel second to last.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I actually see my randalls all the time. My yasha and randalls are essentially hand fed and the Yasha leads the randalls to the pipette I feed from. There are 2 in the display tank at my LFS and they come in and out quite often. No doubt that a tiger will be out more, I even see those just walking along the sand bed sometimes but after a randalls is comfortable you should see it fairly often.

8 fish in the size ranges you are talking about is going to push the bioload of a 55 pretty good (unless you have a large sump). A good, oversized skimmer will help but I still feel you will be pushing it.

The hawaiin flames need more room IMO as does the radiant. Mystery's can get pretty big too but they are not nearly as active. Also, are you prepared to drop $300+ on a pair of hawaiins? They are worth it IMO but a lot of $$ for a beginner fish.

My vote would be for option #1 minus the damsel at least. I think you will stand a better chance of a mystery and the mcckoskers getting along versus the 6-line.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Maybe my Randall's is particularly shy, I see him but not everyday and he never wanders past antenna reach from his goby. My Tiger on the other hand is out doing construction everyday and doesn't feel the need to always be in contact with his goby he'll wander out of touch if he see's a shell he wants to drag back into the lair.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Definitely. Behavior within the same species can vary. Some angels don't nip corals while some will strip every one to the skeleton in a days time.

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
does the mcosker's wrasse or hawaiin flame wrasses' colours differ without a female present?
and are yellowtail damsels that agressive?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
All damsel's can be pretty aggressive, yellowtails are suppose to be calmer then some others but they can still be mean SOB's. I think Damsel's are probably the #1 most regretted fish purchases by new people, cheap price, and fish store people pushing them as good beginner and or cycling fish. Check out some Chromis, several dozen different varieties about the same size and some pretty colorful ones for $10-25.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
does the mcosker's wrasse or hawaiin flame wrasses' colours differ without a female present?
and are yellowtail damsels that agressive?
Yes. Still pretty though absent the female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store