New to saltwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonrusso

AC Members
Oct 24, 2012
Hello all,

My name is Jason and I just recently bought a 75 gallon sump ready aquarium. I plan on a FOWLER. I have experience with freshwater, but never salt. I have been reading up on sumps and I understsand how they work (in theory). I just recently bought a lot of live rock, sand and various equipment. My question is with the sump filtration system first. I am using a different sump than planned. It is a Oceanic reef ready sump. The guy I am buying it from is using a massive protien skimmer, no bio-balls, and a small physical pad. He says the live rock and sand take care of the bio-filtration. Is that correct? Are bio-balls not needed or wanted? Is the live rock and sand enough? I want to have a lot of different fish in my tank. The sump and filtration are designed for a 125 gallon tank.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes, live rock and sand (latter not required) will provide all the bilogical filtration you need. Bioballs would be redundant and may very well become problematic long-term.

jasonrusso

AC Members
Oct 24, 2012
The rock, sand, and water I am buying is from an established tank so it should be a proper filter. So I have a large protien skimmer and a foam pad around the overflow tube. Is this all the filtration I need?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Water from established tank really won't do much, better off by fresh r/o or premixed r/o if you dont already have your own RODI unit. You could consider adding a filter sock if the sump you have didn't come with.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Filter socks will be more effective in most cases but if your sump (sounds like a prefab sump) is designed so that outflow from the DT is forced through the pad and detritus can't really go around the pad, you should be fine.

+1 to using mostly new/fresh saltwater. I would also consider using all new sand (maybe keep a small bag of the top of the old sand). Keep the liverock submerged during the move and circulate the water if the live rock will be "stored" for more than a day during the transfer. Are you buying livestock with this tank as well?

jasonrusso

AC Members
Oct 24, 2012
I am getting 2 fish (1 clown and 1 damsel) and a small octopus. I plan on putting the rocks in a rubbermaid bin and putting them in the tank as soon as I get home. I am also getting a RODI unit with the equiptment, but it won't be set up for a couple days. It is an Oceanic sump, and after talking with the previous owner, it does have a physical filter pad in the bubble barrier. Excuse my ignorance, what is a "DT?" Is Detritus another word for waste?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Octopus? What kind? Not a beginner animal. I also have no idea how the clownfish are still alive at this point but I would not expect them to be around very long.

Regardless, the livestock transfer is even more of a reason to be careful with the existing sandbed.

jasonrusso

AC Members
Oct 24, 2012
What do you mean you don't know how they are still alive? I haven't moved them yet. The fish come with the equipment and rock I am getting.

When I was doing freshwater with a rear mounted filter I had a bubble bar. Does running the water through the overflow, skimmer, and sump offer enough aeration?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yeah cephalopods aren't exactly beginner friendly. Having a tank that was already setup for it will help though, proper escape proof housing is one of the big issues with them. Any livestock kept in the same tank are there until it no longer wants them there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store