100gal Tanganyika Stocking Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wy Renegade

Registered Member
Oct 24, 2012
Hey All,

New to this forum, but not fish keeping in general and I'm looking for specific suggestions on stocking for a 100gal Tanganyika biotype aquarium. I've been keeping Mbuna for years, but last year at the end of the school year I had a heater malfunction and lost my brood stock of OB Blueberry Zebras. We tore the 100gal (6') tank completely down and it has been sitting empty since. I'm toying with the idea of a Tanganyikan set-up this time around, as I love the N. brichardi. Although I love the N. brichardi, they would not be included in this aquarium, as I am leaning towards a community tank with shell dwellers of some sort.

For filtration I'm leaning towards the Aquaclear HOB and figuring on eight to ten x the gph in filtration, so somewhere around 2000 gallons per hour.

For substrate I'm figure on about a 1 1/2" inches of aragonite sand and I'll be building a rock structure for rock dwellers from shale, flagstone and drilled aquarium rock (used for many years in my Mbuna tanks).

I'm looking for specific suggestions on species of shell, rock, and open water dwellers (as well as numbers) that could be kept together in this type of aquarium long term. I'm also looking for information on the best aquascaping set-up (should the rock be on the back wall, in a corner, in both back corners, etc.) and any suggestions of plants which could be included.

From what I've researched, I've found lots of suggestions on species, but haven't been able to find a source for most of the recommended species. So if you could also provided me with a source to purchase the recommended species that would be great.

This is my first venture into the Tanganyikan's besides the N. brichardi which I currently have a breeding population of, so I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds like my 5' 120gal Tang setup.. So i would say you have the ideal of what you want so i will explain my setups to give you a better ideal..

My 120gal 5' footprint - Crushed coral sand and creek rock stacked at both ends with a smaller stack in the middle, two Rena XP3 canister filters.. Fish - Colony of 15+ Julidochromis dickfieldi, 5 Altolamprologus compressiceps, 6 Paracyprichromis nigripinnis, Pair of Neolamprologus marunguensis look like Brichardi, 10 Roseline sharks aka Denison's Barb..
001.JPG

My 120gal 4' footprint - Caribsea white sand and Texas Holey rock stacked towards the back of the tank, two Marineland canister filters.. Fish - 9 Cyprichromis utinta blue tail, 11 Altolamprologus Calvus black InkFins and 7 Neolamprologus mustax..
002.JPG

My 56gal - Playsand and wood.. A portion of Jungle Vallisneria plant.. One pair of Neolamprologus Brichardi flame tail and 5 small Julidochromis transcriptus..
003.JPG

Plants that would work are Vallisneria and Anubias maybe a few others, I would do a canister filter and a HOB if you want, sorry about the photos but you get the ideal, of course there are many other species of fish to choose from but if you start out with 6 of each so that they can grow up together they would be better off..

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Wy Renegade

Registered Member
Oct 24, 2012
Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I'll have to do some profile searching on those specimens, but at least it gives me a good starting point. Love the variety you have going there, we'll have to see how mine comes out.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
No problem..

Bluegrass are good friends of mine and you cannot go wrong with them, a few others is http://www.littleafricaaquatics.com/ also a good friend of mine and http://www.aquabid.com/ really not sure of your location but Fish Clubs are a good source in your area if you have any of them..
Sweet, I've been lookin' for someone who orders from Bluegrass for some input. Pretty much burned out on mbuna, after all these years, and wanna start keepin' quite a few more tangs! The local selection sucks 'round here.

Howdy, Wy Renegade. :)

WYite

Last edited:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah Bluegrass owners Eddie and Scott are good friends of mine and live close to me actually like 30 minutes away so the ease of getting these fish are very close, Little Africa Greg is even closer about 15 to 20 minutes away, Not too mention a Tanganyika keeping local fish club and Indy's fish club my addiction for anything Tanganyika is out of control and easily accessible, you can see my addiction LOL..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yeah, I can see and smell your ever lasting Tang addiction, me mucker! And yes, Eddie from Bluegrass is great; 4 years ago I bought from there 28 young mbunas; all of them arrived alive to Puerto Rico.

Last edited:

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
+1 to bluegrass I've really liked the fish I've gotten there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store