ADF's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kristy123

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2012
hey everyone,

I have a 10-15 gallon tank and in i have a few goupies, a red tailed shark, a few orange fish (cant remember the name) and 2 african dwarf frogs. the pet store said they would all be fine together and they have been for almost a month but the in the last 2 days my shark and one of the red fish have died... Are the ADF's killing them or is there something wrong with my tank?

Himekp

AC Members
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago
No, the african dwarf frogs are most likely not killing your fish. The red tailed shark can grow to 6 inches and so may have been stressed due to a smaller tank than should have been used. However, since (what I'm thinking are glofish) another fish died, I'm thinking that there may have been some water quality issues, have your local petstore check the parameters for you. Is the tank filtered and heated? Are there hiding places for your fish? Have you been keeping up on your water changes? If the answer to any of these are no, then you need to do a little research and fix the problem.

kristy123

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2012
yeah everything is up to date changed the water last week that might be what stressed them. there not goldfish but u wish i could remember what they were! the tank is heated and filtered, i have 5 plants and 2 ordainment. And i had taken the shark from my friend because he had 2 and the one was bullying him and he was fine for ever a month in my tank and normally u can tell when the sharks are stressed because they change color but he never did...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Its almost certainly water quality since your a bit overstocked, the shark was inappropriate for the tank anyway. A month isnt a very long time, they can live many years. Are the orange fish a glo fish? A cherry barb or tiger barb? If your frogs are big enough that you think.they might be killing your fish you have african clawed frogs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
And you were only overstocked due to the shark, assuming a normal amount of guppies. Your stockload is fine now and you can probably add back an orange fish depending on what they actually are lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kristy123

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2012
thanks for the info the shark was actually about 5-6months old i just only had him for a month. and i think your right its a barb but the non-aggresive one, again according to the pet store. and i had double checked they are ADF according the difference between the clawed and non clawed there hands and feet are webbed so i should be good. again thanks for the info

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
it's possible the orange fish are platties. Platties are a live bearing fish like guppies and would do well in your tank. But, I do agree that the frogs are not causing your problem. I would make sure that your fish are not bothering your frogs (i.e., when you feed them, make sure the frogs get enough to eat, as the fish find the frog's food very tasty!).

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store