What fish is this??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
It's a kenyi, Maylandia lombardoi. Looks purty young; as they mature, females stay blue and males turn yellow. It is an African cichlid from Lake Malawi, and can be highly aggressive.

WYite

smithylee

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for that, spot on. Hmmm, i was told these arent too aggressive as im converting from tropical to malawi cichlids slowly. I currently have some corys, a pleco and some bolivian rams and a couple of reed fish. Is this likely to be an issue? Thanks again

smithylee

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the info, spot on.

Hmmm, i was sold this as not very aggressive. I'm swapping over from tropical to cichlids so have a few tropical fish left over being a few corys, a couple of plecos, couple of reed fish and some bolivian rams. Do you see these guys causing a problem?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
And do not keep those Ramirezis with them. The rams are in great danger!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Thanks for the info, spot on.

Hmmm, i was sold this as not very aggressive. I'm swapping over from tropical to cichlids so have a few tropical fish left over being a few corys, a couple of plecos, couple of reed fish and some bolivian rams. Do you see these guys causing a problem?
No, the rams will not hold their own; if ya've never kept Rift Valley cichlids before, then yer enterin' a whole new dimension of territoriality and aggression. The similar-sized South American cichlids so do not compare. IME, kenyi are one of the most aggressive Malawi cichlids I've kept over the years, and whoever sold ya the kenyi as not aggressive was talkin' outta his behind, to put not too fine a point on it.

The cories and rams will both be prime targets and won't be able to withstand the beating they'll take. The plecos can take some of the abuse the cichlids will dish out. The reed fish may be alright, I've seen folks keep reedfish with Malawis before. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

WYite

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I agree. None of your current fish are going to do well with Kennyi or really any mbuna for the long term.

Andy

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
that is not a pure lombardoi. Notice the bars ate too thin and they should be more triangle shape starting wider at the back and taper down as the go toard the beally
I'd bet money that it probly is pure. I've kept and raised hundreds of this species, no exaggeration. It's a juvie, smaller than the rams it's in with even, and kenyi exhibit a fair bit of variance in their stripes, especially when younger. Just hasn't grown into its stripes, so to speak.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store