Hurricane Sandy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Well, stations already running out of gas, ice, bread, etc. Thankfully, my wife went shopping a couple days ago and stocked up. We are pretty well set and ready to hunker down for a few days. Just depends on how long we have power. Once gone, it will be time to fire up the BBQ and generator and then just wait it out. Storm surge of the expected 15+ feet is going to hit at high tide. and I went out today to check the evac route markers that show us our road will be blocked at 8'. Allowing for various factors, 15' is going to be marginally safe for us and anything more will be close. High Tide will be higher than normal due to the full moon effect, so that adds 6' right off the bat!

For those of you in the Carolinas, I sure hope you are safe and I wish the best of luck to all of you in NJ, NY, PA and anyone else in the path of it.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Wind is picking up here in central NJ now, and the has rain started as well. The generator is ready to run the sump pump if needed, and we're packing ice into any space we can in the freezers. I'm finishing up massive water changes(75-80%) this morning because I'm on a well and if I lose power, it won't be available. Battery backup UPS's are at the ready to run my air pump powering about 15 sponge filters. 3 were just put in yesterday to help with aeration if nothing else. I'm hoping we get through this like last year without a power loss. Good luck to everyone affected!​

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
It's coming straight for me!

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Wind is picking up here in central NJ now, and the has rain started as well. The generator is ready to run the sump pump if needed, and we're packing ice into any space we can in the freezers. I'm finishing up massive water changes(75-80%) this morning because I'm on a well and if I lose power, it won't be available. Battery backup UPS's are at the ready to run my air pump powering about 15 sponge filters. 3 were just put in yesterday to help with aeration if nothing else. I'm hoping we get through this like last year without a power loss. Good luck to everyone affected!​
Any tips to keep the tanks up to temp without power? Wrap in heatd towels maybe?

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Any tips to keep the tanks up to temp without power? Wrap in heatd towels maybe?
Just by warping them you will help a great deal.

Sandy is heading straight for us here in Newark de and the news is all for NYC, and NJ! That pisses me off.
Whatever.
To everyone on the coast good luck. Looks like we will need it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store