Cloudy Tank, Dead Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iGotPlecoed

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
Charleston SC
Real Name
KP
Tragedy Strikes. Noticed my tank going cloudy about a week ago. Tested water and all seemed well. Did a water change, somewhat cleared it up. Woke up this morning, couldn't see 12" through the water, much more cloudy.

Also this morning, my pictus catfish, who was usually out of sight and cruising around the bottom of the tank was acting unusual. He was swimming around mid to top of tank. He also went to bottom couple of times and went almost down on his side, with mouth open. Got back from classes today and checked the water params (API liquid test kit) and found ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 40. Then did a 50-70% water change. Water is still not clear, but better than it was in the morning.In doing so, found the pictus cat dead. Toast. I realize now I should have taken a picture, but he is gone. I did notice his eyes looked cloudy, that's about all I could tell, possibly a white mucus on him, but not sure about that one.

I've been religious with weekly water changes. Try my best not to overfeed, if anything sometimes the plecos dont finish an algae wafer. Only thing I could think of is that I got a new HOB filter, to run on this tank in preparation for setting up my 40b in the enxt few weeks. I put a aquaclear filter sponge over the intake and didn't rinse it off as well as putting a new decoration in the tank without rinsing it off. I thought that was why the tank was cloudy and assumed it would clear up. But with a dead fish I don't see why cloudy water would be the reasoning, and the cloudy eyes make me thing something else is going on.

Dealt with the ICH several weeks ago, mostly saw the pictus catfish with the ICH. treated with heat and salt, went away after about a week, continued treatment for a week. WIth water changes I've been tracking how much salt I've been taking out and after about 3 weeks total I'm down to about .5tsp/gal, down from about 2tsp/gallon.

Any thoughts?
Thanks....

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
Did your meds stall your cycle? all I can think of.

iGotPlecoed

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
Charleston SC
Real Name
KP
I don't know much, but if my water parameters are still normal wouldn't that not be a stalled cycle? and the only 'meds' i used was salt. one pleco has been going to surface more often, what i assume if for air, hasn't been 'sucking' onto surfaces as much as usual. eyes don't look out of norm. Going to be browsing fish diseases on the forum for a while now.

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
I'd actually check if you are cycled or not. Sound like a bacteria bloom to me. Mostly occurs in uncycled tanks. Did you recently change the substrate or disturbed the substrate a lot? What is your substrate? Anyways, did you replace your filter media? Anyways, it does sound like a bacteria bloom to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

iGotPlecoed

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
Charleston SC
Real Name
KP
I've got gravel substrate. I haven't changed it since starting up the tank (20L). Now I'm getting worried that I did something wrong...but I'll be honest. When I do my weekly water changes, I take the water out via graval vac - as in I gravel vac about half the tank really well and that removes about 3-5 gallons out of the tank. Then refill the water in the tank. Then a week later, I gravel vac the rest of the tank taking out 3-5 gallons. I hope that's not incorrect. Am I strictly supposed to take my water change from the water column and not not through the substrate?

I haven't changed my filter media - well when i added my new filter - same as my old filter, i switched the two filter cartridges between the two, but they weren't out of the water for more than 5 seconds. What does all of that mean then? What should I do about this?
Edit....After some research of 'bacteria bloom' yeah that sounds about dead on to me. over feeding. Now what to do.
Thanks

Last edited:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
fish eyes will go cloudy and they can look 'slimey' not long after death, so i wouldn't worry about researching that as a symptom that caused the pictus to die. both of those things are the body starting to decompose.

this tank is a 20 gallon or a 20 litre? you mention "20L". if so, 20 gallons is not large enough for a pictus, even a juvie one, and other high waste creating fish like plecos. what is your full stock list for this tank? i think the tank size and filtration are not enough for your stock list.

the new filter being added could have caused the bacterial bloom - the bacteria saw an opportunity to populate more due to increased media/surface area and took the opportunity. this tells me the bioload of your tank is too much.

filter cartridges do not have very much surface area compared to other filter media options like sponge or ceramic bio media. and cartridges clog so easily compared to other media. i personally will not run any filter with cartridges - instead i cut sponges to fit in the spaces.

the way you are doing water changes is correct - you want to get the mulm and poop out of the substrate. if you just take the water out of the tank without vacuuming the gravel, that mulm is left behind to continue to contribute to nitrates.

iGotPlecoed

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
Charleston SC
Real Name
KP
I guess what i should say is 20gL? Sorry for being unclear. The tank is a 20 gallon Long. I posted to the freshwater newbie form, I bought a new tank because I know I'm overstocked or will be very overstocked in future. Glabe mentioned possible concerns of so many bottom feeders in my new 40 gallon breeder still.

The 20 is as follows:
1 Redtail Shark ~2.5-3 in
1 ABNP ~2.5 in
1 Rubber Lip Pleco ~3in
1 Angelfish ~2 in body now, maybe 4-6 inches tall with fins
-2x Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 (One was the just recently added - with a sponge over the intake tube)
-1x AquaTech 5-15

Doing an aqadvisor check, with 'juvenile sizes' I thought I would be okay for a while until I get the 40breeder set up - waiting on a check and a stand. I think I'll be giving up on HOB's and going to big canister.

I understand after looking into bacteria blooms that with the pictus catfish I was probably over stocked, over feeding, and having pleco poop machines, and with some possible stressed out fish. I've been trying my best to make moves on my new 40 gallon. I guess I should just wait out the bloom and stick with feeding less for time being? Maybe larger water changes than my 15-20% weekly?

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
In that tank, having problems, I would up WCs to at least 25% twice a week or 50% once a week. You would be surprised how many problems lots of fresh water seems to take care of. And even if it isn't the cure it can only help.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'd be doing twice weekly water changes at at least 50% each until you've got the 40 set up. clean water does wonders for our fish!

iGotPlecoed

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
Charleston SC
Real Name
KP
So increase water changes and easy on the feeding. Yeah even being as inexperienced as I am (!N00B!) I'd agree. Upping the water changes. I feel like you two (bettafishmommy and mesto) are probably very correct....more clean water has got to be good. Thank you all for your help so far. I really appreciate it. Just want to do right by these fish. I admit I wouldn't have some of them if I had done my homework in the past like I should have. But...I like to think I may learn from my mistakes. Thanks again!
-Also put another air pump up for the tank to try keep oxygen levels up. The whole bacteria thing taking all the oxygen from my fish (those lil Bast***s!) IS NOT COOL! So yeah. Felt terrible seeing my pictus cat roaming around with mouth upon, what I assume was gasping for air. Tragic. And not shakespeares tragic comedy, just a tragedy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store