is this a problem to b concerned about,

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

winnervers

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2012
I'm hoping someone might know what this is. I have had my tank for 3 yrs now fish only seen some odd creatures come and go, like the white worm with black stripes with a round head and could streacth an inch or so before crawling back in the holes of the live rock but this thing here i cant find info on simply because i dont know what it is. i know there r lots of them, there hard and hollow about 1/4 to 3/8's in height, and spit out a web like substance from them can streatch about 3 inchs long, and food and debris get cought in them, a few bunched together makes a bigger web and collects more junk. any info is greatly appreciated.Hope i got the right pic up.

046.JPG

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I cant even tell what Im supposed to be seeing in the pic. Someone who's really good at IDing hitchikers will come soon enough though =)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Vermetid snail. Not a concern in small numbers but if you have a lot of them and you have corals (sounds like you don't), you may need to address the issue as their webs can irritate corals and cause the polyps to stay closed. I have never seen them get to the point that detritus collection becomes an issue but if its badd enough that could be a concern in terms of water quality. Superglue gel (out of the tank) or aquarium safe epoxy puddy (in the tank is ok) applied over them will do the trick. Some wrasses may eat them too but no guarantees on that.

The round head worm doesn't sound like a good guy though. If you see him again, try and catch him with a pair of forceps. Never grab an unknown worm with your bare hands.

Last edited:

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Never grab an unknown work with your bare hands.

+1

I read about a guy who saw a nudibranch in his tank and decided to crush it against the glass. Within 5 seconds, hot flashes, within minutes trouble breathing, elevated heartrate tingling sensations, etc. etc. he had to be rushed to the hospital and put on oxygen.

Reading it has made me officially decide that I will just gloves anytime I need to do work in my tank.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Guess grabbing unknown "work" might be a problem too but an unknown "worm" could definitely be worse :).

winnervers

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2012
Yes there on at least 70% of liverock, if the glue works that would b great got to make sure i pull of the 40 specks of moving sand that turned out to b turbo snails. i had just put in my first frag a zooanthia i had to take it out because they had starting growin on the frag is was mounted to and it didnt fair to well so crushed them off the frag and moved to my 10 g tank. looks like i have something to look forward to this weekend. thanks for help. ;~)

winnervers

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2012
as far as the rock well got some from the store, some came from the beaches of aruba, and i had bought someone else's 125g tank and it had about 150lbs from it, i as of now run a 46g bowfront and a 30g fuge a total 60lbs of rock 15lbs argonite and 40lbs of sand 20 of it added to fuge. waiting on (chatamera <---spelled wrong i'm sure) halimedia, and a mangroove now, lighiting is low i believe only 500 watts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store