Ich or not? Treatment not working....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ecc123

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2012
Hello everyone, I have a 77 gallon tank that's been running for 3 months, started with the water and filter slime from my old 33 gallon. I had one existing 6 year old auratus added immediately to the tank and added another 9 new various cichlids and a plecko to the tank a month later. After adding the new fish I noticed one had small spots on it that looked like white lint dust (like white lint on clothes under a black light) and 1mm big. I was sure it was ich (although never having seen it before) and immediately got rid of the fish. I then raised my tank up to about 86 degrees and added about 15 tbsp salt every day for three days, along with some green stuff I had bought at the pet store a few years back. The bottle didn't say what its components were, but it said it treated fish infections including ich. I added about 5 caps every day x 3 along with the salt, increased heat and increased aeration in the tank. After the 3rd day I noticed another fish had white spots on it but they looked more like white-heads or sores, some of which were 3mm big. I went to my local pet store and described this to the employee and he suggested to continue doing what I was doing with the heat and salt, but remove all large ornaments and do 50% water changes with gravel vacuming every day. I was told I should see an improvement in about 4 days but to continue for an extra 3 days after improvement is seen and white spots are gone. I raised the temperature to 89 degrees and did 50% water changes and added about 15 tbsp of salt/day for 4 days and only noticed that there were more of the larger white spots on the fish. I could see the large sores easily on the fish, but could only see raised spots while looking down the length of the body of the fish. Also previously uninfected fish now had the same. I then left the salt bath and did no water changes for another 6 days which brings us to today. Currently 6 of my fish have the large white spot sores on them, with the raised spots that I can only see by looking down the length of the fish. Their behaviour through the entire ordeal has been normal aside from the occasional rubbing. Appetite has been fine and there has been no fish loss. Any ideas on what to do? The treatment doesn't seem to be working and so I am wondering if it is even ich at all? Please help!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Can you get some pics for us?

ecc123

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2012
Sorry I tried to get pics. Cant get any good ones no matter what I do with the lighting, flash, camera settings etc. Might the fact that it is hard to see mean something? If you google ich pictures it looks like the first fish did, but the other fish definitely do not look the same...they look more like their scales are damaged.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store