Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
First off, this last weekend I did sort of a half aquascape as well as detritus removal under the rock and such. Basically there was a ton of extra LR in my display and I took out the pieces that weren't aesthetically interesting to me. This turned out to be roughly a third of it. I was worried about too rapidly changing the environment of the system since a third of the LR is basically a third of my biological filtration, not counting the SB. But since I was overstocked on LR anyways(about 130 in a 92 corner) combined with the fact that my tank isn't heavily stocked made it okay..my 2 fish are doing great and my corals seems fine.

The rock that I took out is sitting in a tub with a heater and a small powerhead, no light source. How long can I keep this rock like this? I have an extra strip of LED actinic lights I can put on there if need be, but is it necessary or even beneficial without the daylight spectrum?

Another question: I have a colony of anthelia. The main colony is pretty much completely overtaken this one piece of LR. The stalks are pretty packed close together. I've noticed however that here and there I'll see a single stalk of anthelia floating around in the tank. I just seem them once in a while. I got freaked out at first because I thought something was wrong with the main colony. But since the main colony is the same color, fully extended, etc. I thought maybe the splitting off from the main colony was just the anthelia trying to find a more desirable spot like shrooms do.

Finally, any recommendations as to how to go about attatching LR together. I want to make a arch that has no way of staying naturally.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The LR can stay in that tub pretty much indefinitely with no additional equipment. It will eventually need some water changes to keep it from getting gunked up. Taking the PH and moving it around by hand to blow off the rock would help as well as adding a few hermits and snails to clean up. It will also help to sprinkle a few flakes of food in to sustain the bacteria population.

With only 2 fish, the impact of removing the 1/3 of your LR should not be an issue. Personally I feel the 1 to 1.5 pounds of LR per gallon is overrated and likely a remnant of the early days of the hobby when LR was introduced. I only have about 35 lbs of LR in a 60 gallon system that houses 6 fish and have never noticed any issues with water quality. Porosity of your LR obvioulsy plays a role in the amount of rock you should have.

I have never kept anthelia but I would imagine detachment is certainly a likely means for that coral to populate. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how much you like the coral :).

If you are trying to build an extreme arch, drilling the rock (very easy because it is so soft) and using acrylic rods with some epoxy puddy would be the best approach. If the arch isn't too extreme, puddy or puddy + super glue gel alone may work.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Ok good to hear about the LR. Low maintenence so one less thing to worry about.

I like the anthelia, but I dont think I like it so much that I would want it to have the ability to split off find new spots in my tank lol. We bought it as literally a tiny 1 inch frag and it exploded into a monster on this entire rock very quickly. I love the movement but I dont want it to spread past the rock. Right now I have it isolated to a little island on the right side of the tank.

Thank you greech!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store