38 Hours No Power, No Generator

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Hope all east coasters are faring as well as can be expected. Our lovely state of NJ will be a mess for a very long time. I'm in northwest NJ, rural area close to the Pennsylvania Border along the Delaware River.
It's been 38 hours now, no power and we don't have a generator. The minute the power went out I wrapped the tanks with several layers of thick blankets, hooked up the battery operated air gadgets. Without a whole lot of prodding around , it looks like the tanks might be staying around 70, which while a far cry from the 84F I keep them at, is liveable for the fish for the short-term. But the outside air temps are supposed to fall into the 3o's tonight. I'm trying to remain optimistic about the discus and plecos. My plants will more than likely all be dead in the dark but they are easy to replace. At what point do you give up on them?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Hang in there Deb I was wondering how you were faring

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Don't give up on them until they've died.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Thinking of you..hope things get better soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
good luck!

would it be possible to use your car as a generator? get a car-outlet adapter, an extension cord, and a full tank of gas, and you're good to go.

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
Boil or heat water on the stove.... Soak towels in them... wrap the tanks with hot towels...... that might help..... or goto a hunting store or walmart and get hand warmers.... wrap them under the blankets. Ive never tried either just thinking out loud. Beauiful part of the state btw....

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
We just got the bad news that the high voltage transformers that run back thru the fields and woods have been snapped off all around this area and it will be 2 weeks before we have electric here again. The water is down to 65 now. I don't know what to do but I know I don't want them dying a slow death. Two weeks is just not manageable with a 72 gallon tank. If anyone can come and take them before they begin to go downhill? I have 6 huge discus, 5 are around a year old and one male is several years old, a dozen or so sterbai, ember tetras, Amano shrimp, 7 longfin L144 plecos in another tank.

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
I'm in NJ too, central NJ. Counting my blessings that I'm relatively unscathed. Power restoration around here is sporadic, I just got power back albeit it might be temporary, but I'll take it.

As for your tank Debbi, this might sound nuts but it might work, might be worth a shot. If you have the ability to boil water ( i.e.) you have gas stoves & still are getting gas) & you have access to some large garbage bags or nylon tarp or plastic sheets you can try erecting a "tent frame" around your tank. A clothing line with a tarp or large plastic sheet (like the type used to cover things when you are painting etc) draped over it will do the trick. Make sure you pull the tarp taut & seal up any openings the best way that you can with tape or whatever you have available. Next boil some water until it's "rolling" in pots, empty coffee cans, whatever you have that can hold lots of boiling water (use multiple pots). Place those pots inside the tent & you've basically made a sauna for your tank. Just keep replacing the boiling water as needed. Keep in mind that this will create a lot of condensation inside the "tent"so be cognizant of that (I don't know where exactly you keep your 72g tank). Also, if you can some how elevate the pots like maybe placing them up on some stacked milk crates or something along those lines this will make them heat the "tent" up more efficiently since hot air rises & cool air settles on the ground. Having the pots elevated up closer to the tanks level will ensure that most of the cooler air will settle below the tank (around the tank stand area) & the warmer air will rise & hang around the actual tank. This should work if you have access to the materials (plastic sheets or nylon tarp, tape, pots or cans) & you can boil water on a regular basis & it's relatively safe seeing as you don't have to worry about accidentally setting anything ablaze since you are using hot water & not flame. I know this might sound rather excessive just to keep a tank warm but then again, you are a Discus keeper so maybe not ..... Good luck with whatever way you choose or figure out on how to keep your tank's temp up.

PS - If you are worried about getting excessive condensation on the tank stand just wrap plastic sheets or bags around the tank's stand before attempting this.
PPS - If you are wondering were I conjured up this lame brain scheme lol it's from camping. Tents can get pretty hot & build up condensation just from body heat alone so I figured substitute a human body with a pot of boiling water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store