Microbubbles from a return pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonrusso

AC Members
Oct 24, 2012
I have a 75 gallon with an corner overflow. I am getting a new return pump either way because it sometimes requires a tap on the side of the sump to get started. I don't trust it to restart if the power flashes. Right now I have a mag 7. What is a good quiet pump to get? I have a fowler. I am also seeing Microbubbles (nothing too bad). I have a Reef creations MR2 skimmer, but I don't see many bubbles in the return chamber after the bubble barrier. It is an oceanic reef sump. Can the return pump if it is worn out be making the bubbles? Is this unavoidable? Should I put a piece of filter over the intake to the pump?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I have a Sicce Syncra and absolutely love it. Low power consumption, well built and very quiet. Tunze makes a great pump and you can't go wrong with an Eheim.

You might save a little with a mag but every one I ever had was loud and not reliable.

The bubbles could be from a cracked impeller in the mag or too low of a water level which sucks air from the surface now and then. I am not a fan of filter pads on return pumps simply because they need to be replaced way too often.

Do you have a valve of any kind in the return line (after the pump's output)?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store