Catfish species tank??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I've toyed with this idea before, but never actually done it. I love catfish and have considered doing a tank of just cats. The problem I run into is always that cats tend to be bottom dwellers. My stocking scheme always goes something like this:

Rubber lip Pl*co and/or BN pl*co
Banjo cat?
School of various cories
School of upside down cats

All of those fish show the diversity that you can find in the catfish family, but all of them also prefer to live in the bottom tier of the tank. Any suggestions for cats that might populate the upper half of the tank?

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Glass cats and dwarf cories tend to be more mid-water swimmers than other catfish. One thing for catfish tanks is to minimize the height, 12" tall tanks are great and even the 1/2 height tanks can work quite well for them.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I've got a 75g and a 55g so both are kind of tall tanks. I've heard that glass cats can be hard to keep and are very sensitive to any changes in water chemistry. True or false? I love dwarf cories but I can't find them anywhere here.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Some times Ms Jinkzd has the dwarf cories on her list, it doesn't look like they currently are on her list.

Your impression of glass cats matches what I have heard also.

If you are creative with your aquascaping, you may be able to convince the bottom dwellers to use the middle level of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store