looking for suggestions on tank dividers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
This is probably a simple and obvious thing, but I've never used a tank divider and actually not really seen one in person, just online and the pics are not that great or closeup.

Are there different styles that are better than another?

After being dismayed at the cost of 2.5 and 5.5 gallon tanks being more expensive than a 10 gallon, I figured a tank divider would be a better option in a 10 gallon. I have various needs but mostly for holding/breeding areas for small things such as endlers, shrimp, etc.

Are there dividers that have holes to allow water flow so I can use just one filter and heater? I'm not too concerned about fry crossing through as I will be putting completely different species in each divide, such as endlers on one side and cpos in another for example. I just want the adults to have their own separated spots and hiding places so they will feel more comfortable when breeding/giving birth.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Edge reinforced plastic "needle point" canvas works well. The slip on binder/report cover spines stiffen it up nicely.
:thm:

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
excellent... thanks for the tips.

Hopefully my local WM has the netting. If not, will have to wait 'till I can get to Michael's or some other craft store.

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
I've never had a lot of luck with dividers over time. And that is the main point, time. Dividers are a short-term solution. Once the fry grow a bit, where are you going to put them? Since the real cost of an aquarium is in what goes in it and on it, I recommend upsizing or moving over dividing. I just use another tank, but then I have 18 in my basement so I can do that. 10G prices on CL are dirt cheap if you look around. Many fish keepers have migrated past that size (I'm at the point where 20G are starting to look too small even as breeding pair tanks).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store