EBJD survival rate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Okay, I have some Electric blue, and blue Gene dempsey babies. All are doing great except one EBJD. It is not eating, and hiding in the plants and leaves I have in the tank. I am not sure it will make it. I have read they are not a very tough fish, and sometimes get so big then hit a wall and die. How true is this, and can I expect trouble trying to raise the other 4 I have? I am falling in love with these fish, and am trying my best to grow them out. Any advice on how to get the little one to eat, or any other thing I should know, will be appreciated.

xUnRaTeDxxRkOx

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
www.FaceBook.com
Real Name
Mike R.
EBJD's are known to be very susceptible to death if they are 4" in size or under and need really good water parameters, but once they 5"or larger in size they become easier to raise. It's unknown as to why when they're 4" or under in size they are so "fragile" to water conditions. I know from experience, I had FOUR 2" Ebjd's in the past and everyone of them passed away, but when I got a 6" Ebjd it was just like having any other normal cichlid.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks. That is pretty much what I have been reading. The smallest one has died, but still have 4 EBJDs, and 5 BGJDs. I believe they were picking on the little one and keeping it from feeding.They will be going into a 75 gal. soon, to finish growing out, then not sure what I will do with them if they don't get along.

Fish on Fire

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
California
They die early due to genetic problems that lead to poor immune systems. The ones who reach adult size are fish that have stronger genetics than the ones that die early. Best bet at raising EBJDs to full size would be to buy them from a breeder with a genetically strong and diverse line, keep them in a tank to themselves with only a light layer of substrate and a good filtration system including a UV filter to kill off any parasites in the water column. Good food, good stock, low stress, and minimize the chance of the fish getting any parasites and you have a good shot at raising ebjds to adulthood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store