HELP!!! BUGS AND ALGAE PROBLEM

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
Hi, I recently started having some major problems with my 10 gallon tank and I don't know what to do with it anymore. I have another 20 gallon tank and a 5 gallon and those ones haven't ever had a problem like this. In my 10 gallon I have 2 crayfish and a BN pleco and usually the BN pleco keeps the glass clean but now there's brown algae on all sides of the tank. Also, there's some major bug problems. I've got some worms that are about an inch long going across the glass then there's little red worms that live in clear tubes (their head is the only thing that ever comes out of it), then I've also got some green gnat looking bugs that fly out of my tank every time I open the lid. The only bugs that I'm really worried about are the ones that live in the see through tubes because they've attached themselves to my crayfish and I'm not sure if that could end up being a problem or not. I've been doing 2-3 50% water changes in the tank that's been having all of the problems but they don't seem to be helping too much. It helps the day I do the water change then overnight it seems like all the bugs are back. And its kind of hard to vacuum out the worms because they're latched onto the glass and the crayfish and the substrate and everything else in the tank.

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
Thanks for the link that helps a lot with the algae problem. I'm still kind of concerned about the worms that are attaching to my crayfish though. I think I accidently posted this thread twice too because I thought it didn't work the first time >.<

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I've heard of the white worms several times but can offer no information as to how they treated them. As to the bugs, they sound neat.

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
Ok so today i scrubbed all of the brown algae and bugs off of the sides of my tank and the decorations, cleaned the filter out, cleaned the algae off of the lid and then did a 50% water change. Hope it helps...

ggoldielocks

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2014
I believe the thread like worms are the larva of the gnats. I am fighting the same problem in my 60 gallon tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the gnat maybe a species of midge fly. the midge larvae live in the substrate. but the white worms you have look ,more like detritus worms ..
they are quite different than the midge larvae which don't really look like worms.(the smaller off white worm like things may actually be the midge larvae, which usually have a distinct head/tail (think bloodworm)

the detritus worms are usually the result of over feeding..many fish will eat them if they poke their bodies out.
the midge larvae are usually controlled with good gravel vacs.. not a prob in my tanks as the angels and discus will devour any bloodworms

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
The long white worms are definitely detritus worms. They are no cause for concern. They increase in number as detritus (read: fish poo & wasted food) increases in volume. However when they ascend to the top of the glass it's an indication of oxygen depletion near the substrate. Get some fast growing stem plants in there if this is the case. The worms don't hurt anything and will eventually decrease as you decrease food amounts and/or frequency. Pearl Gourami and Bettas love to eat larvae if you want to add something to the fleet that likes to eat. You can withhold food for one day a week without any negative effects. It's good for your fishes' digestive system. I skip feeding on Sundays every week (for example).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store