Going into day 4 with no power in NJ after Sandy.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
So far I've only lost a Cardinal as far as I know. I've been doing multiple warm water PWCs every day. Tried feeding them with some Gerry rigged lights but they are not very interested. Will try again tomorrow. I'm more worried about the plants starting to decay and making the water foul but will wait and see how that goes. I have not seen a single shrimp since Monday. Time will tell.

(sigh)

Ken

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Hey there.....I feel your pain. I was out for a little over 2 days, and I consider myself very lucky. I would take the plants out and make sure you keep agitating the surface for oxygen. Keep the tank covered to preserve the warmth. Be careful adding warm water to the tank. Too much of a temperature change would be bad. Hang in there.....we are praying for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I have the tank covered with the lights removed. As I fill the tank I agitate the water on the way in to mix with the water already in the tank. The temps never change much more than a few degrees. I've been through this before but not for this long of an outage. Taking the plants out is not an option as the disturbance of the mulm would likely pollute the water badly. I also need to remove the filter so it doesn't pump festering water into the tank when power resumes.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Good point on the plants. One other thing I did was put the filter media in the tank to preserve the bb colony. I also unplugged the filters so that when the power did go on, they didn't automatically start up. Not sure how often you are agitating the water, but I had a cup and scooped water and poured it back in every little while.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Good point with the mulm.....that's a tough one. You should unplug the filters so they don't start automatically. I also threw the media in the tank to preserve the bb. One other thing I did was take a cup, scoop some water and pour it back in from a height to keep agitating the water. Did this every hour or so. Sorry for not having any other ideas for the plants. Feedings should be minimal also.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Wish you the best!

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I decided it was worth the effort to move the tank to my brothers house. We scooped out the Angel and the Farlowella but the others hid in the plants so we lowered the level down to just a few inches and hoofed it out of the house into his truck. They are doing OK as stressed fish go but at least I can rest easier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store