Figure 8 puffer brackish or fresh water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pogglywoggly

Registered Member
Nov 3, 2012
Hey guys i've been doing a lot of research as to if I should do fresh or brackish water for my Puffer.

Right now he is in 100% fresh water but I read a lot of people saying a low salinity brackish is healthier for them.

If I do decide to go brackish I already know my equipment (Heater and such) can handle the salinity so is it as simple as buying marine salt and making sure to slowly up the salt levels at .002ppt every water change?

Also as for his diet my puffer was fed freeze dried plankton from the LFS so I've been hand feeding him a couple of those a day with plans to supplement that with the occasional snail to keep his chompers trimmed down. I need advice also for the easiest way to find the snails because my current living conditions make it difficult for me to breed them individually.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yes, low-end brackish is typically considered the proper environment for them. You're on the right track. The only thing I would recommend is premix the water maybe the day before in a bucket with a powerhead to make sure everything

Regarding the food, I always had a 10gal low-light planted tank that produced ramshorn snails like crazy, so i would just grab a few every day and toss them in for my GSP. For ramshorns, it could be as easy as throwing some java moss into a half-gallon vase or something and putting it on a windowsill and dropping in some flake food every few days. As long as you have a handful to start off the population, they are pretty easy to keep going.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store