Marmokreb won't have babies!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
I've had my 2 marmokrebs for about 5 months now and one of them keeps berrying up but after having the eggs on her tail for about 4 or 5 days they disappear.. I don't think that they would hatch that fast because I found a site dedicated to this species and they say it takes like 20 days for them to hatch.. So i guess she eats them or something? Any ideas?

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
How big is the tank? She could be stressed with the other cray in the tank if there is not enough hiding places and enough space to keep them separated.

When I first got mine, from the way people described, you put 'em in a tank and soon you'll be overflowing with crays. I've seen multiples in tanks before where they seem to do just that. But for me it didn't work. I then separated them into their own 10 gallon tanks and within a couple of weeks they berried and almost a month after that they had babies. And a month after that, they are now berried again.

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
I have them both in a 10 gallon with a few pieces of PVC for hiding places. For a while one of them was picking on the other one while they were still growing and now the one that becomes berried every month or so only has one claw and is missing a leg. (I had them in a 5 gallon when they were still growing) So I ended up separating them for a while then after a while i put them both in the 10g because I figured they would have enough space in there so they wouldn't fight anymore. They stopped tearing each other apart but they eat their own eggs or something.. I guess I'll try separating them into different tanks again. Thanks for the info!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I had a similar problem..but it was just one in a 10 by her self, she would berry up..and with in a week or two they were all gone..did this over and over and over again,

kept the water clean fed her a huge verity of food nothing helped ..gave her to a LFS who traded me for a new one ( i had the old one sens it was under an inch).new one was about an inch.

she molted twice...berried up and imoved her to her own tank..she lost the eggs, berried up again and kept them now i have over 3 dozen babies in the tank ready to be fed.

dunno ..maybe she was just defective ..but this one is doing great and is due to berry up any time now.

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
I had a similar problem..but it was just one in a 10 by her self, she would berry up..and with in a week or two they were all gone..did this over and over and over again,

kept the water clean fed her a huge verity of food nothing helped ..gave her to a LFS who traded me for a new one ( i had the old one sens it was under an inch).new one was about an inch.

she molted twice...berried up and imoved her to her own tank..she lost the eggs, berried up again and kept them now i have over 3 dozen babies in the tank ready to be fed.

dunno ..maybe she was just defective ..but this one is doing great and is due to berry up any time now.
I hope mine isn't like your old one when I separate them.. And if it keeps doing the same thing over and over I hope my second one berrys up she still hasn't once after 5 months... Maybe I'll have to trade mine out like you did if they don't do anything.

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
Oh just thought of something. What temperature do you keep your tank at when your crays berry up?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
not sure on the temp i keep them cooler..in the low 70s ish? no heater in the tank, its the same tank same set up same everything as the last cray that would never keep her berries

I had the old one for almost a year before trading her in..this on took less than 2 months to produce for me.

N8L

AC Members
Nov 2, 2012
Oh ok i was going to try putting a heater in but if thats the temp yours are getting berrys at I guess mine should be fine. I separated them and already I see that they're more comfortable in their tanks. They walk around a lot more instead of just hiding in their PVC pipes.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Oh ok i was going to try putting a heater in but if thats the temp yours are getting berrys at I guess mine should be fine. I separated them and already I see that they're more comfortable in their tanks. They walk around a lot more instead of just hiding in their PVC pipes.

they are cold water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store