Recommendation on a canister filter for 40b

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Hey guys I've got a stand and top for my 40breeder now, I need to decide on lighting, a canister filter (spacial purposes) and a protein skimmer. Any particular ones you would recommend?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'm not to upto date on canisters, something with a halfway decent flow rate, 3 trays/compartments for media.

Are you looking for internal or hob skimmer? Remora's only need about 3" clearance on the back. Otherwise Tunze or Hydor Slimskim are ok for internals.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
I think I want an HOB skimmer. I have a 3' clearance but that sounds HUGE.

I have been considering an Eheim or Fluval canister. Need more feedback on that...not very familiar withthe models you suggested, I wanna buy this thing ONCE so I dont mind spending up to $200 on it...what is a "decent" flow rate?

I was planning on a 36-48" marineland LED stand up strip. is this ok?

As far as

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The Remora is a big unit but it is quite good.

I know you can get the 405 fluval for like $110, if I was sumpless and couldn't run a HOB I'd probably consider that one.

The Reef Capable LED? I see its down to $200 thats alot better then when they were pushing $400, reviews I've seen on other forums are mixed, it'll do softies, pretty well but not so great with high light SPS.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Reef or FOWLR, can't recall?

I know nothing about canisters but everything Eheim component I have ever owned has been solid so if you only want to buy something once, I would start there.

Along the lines of buying something once, I highly recommend this skimmer. Tough to beat the bubble blaster pumps...

http://www.thatpetplace.com/super-reef-octopus-lx1000s-hob-skimmer-100-gal

The other benefit of that skimmer is you can use it on a bigger tank should you decide to upgrade.

Another good option...
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/reef-octopus-oct-bh90-4-hob-with-otp1000-pump

When it comes down to it, spend MORE on your skimmer than your filter.

You don;t need a ton of flow through your canister. That's what good powerheads are for :).

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You don;t need a ton of flow through your canister. That's what good powerheads are for :).
Well I should come out and admit beforehand I am biased against canisters, but I figure since the only job they have is to suck up detrius and maybe polish the water may as well have excellent suction to get at the detrius and a little extra flow never hurts anything. I figure a canister rated for upto 55g was made with FW tank in mind not a tank with 2000gph+ flow and alot of stuff will just get blown right by the intake.

thebisonman

AC Members
Oct 10, 2006
I think canister filters for salt are not a good idea as they continually produce nitrate. However, I used a FX5 for years on a 75 salt with a huge lone puffer. I changed the water seldom and the puffer did fine. However, puffers are among the most hardiest of salt fish IMO.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Well I should come out and admit beforehand I am biased against canisters, but I figure since the only job they have is to suck up detrius and maybe polish the water may as well have excellent suction to get at the detrius and a little extra flow never hurts anything. I figure a canister rated for upto 55g was made with FW tank in mind not a tank with 2000gph+ flow and alot of stuff will just get blown right by the intake.
I wasn't saying what you said is wrong. I just feel that a good skimmer is far more important than a high-end cansiter. I assume the OP only wants the canister to run some additional mechanical filtration and media which does not require much. In fact, a media reactor of some kind might be a better solution.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I think canister filters for salt are not a good idea as they continually produce nitrate. However, I used a FX5 for years on a 75 salt with a huge lone puffer. I changed the water seldom and the puffer did fine. However, puffers are among the most hardiest of salt fish IMO.
Those are my feelings on them as well. If you can't have sump filtration I think a HOB can work pretty well on smaller tanks, sponge for the mechanical filtration, space for purigen/chemipure or whatever other media one may want to run, and you can toss some chaeto and mangrove shoots in it and grow pods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store