Any tips for training?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Hey everyone, some of you may know that I am a cart attendant now. I have been doing a pretty good job, and next week a new guy starts and I am his trainer. I want to make sure to show him how to do things my trainer didnt show me. Any tips on how to train him? There isnt a book like there is for cashiers. I am pretty laid back and calm at work, but at the same time I want to get the job done.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Show him videos on youtube. ;)

KI4WLG

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina/South Carolina
Not to be Captain Obvious or anything, but just show him what you know and what you say wasn't shown to you but is helpful...

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Show the new guy how to do it once, then sit back and watch him do it the rest of the shift. That's how training is done.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Okay, just so people know, pushing cart's aint as easy at it looks... laugh if you want (I'm sure some will at this, I did) but that's a true statement. I should know, it's half my job.

Just show him the ropes of it and let him figure the rest out himself - everyone does things differently, and they usually get it done better if they are able to come up with their own ways of doing things. I know a guy who pushes 2 stacks of 4-6 carts, one in each hand. I personally do a stack of 7 well tied (we have ropes to help with stopping them from hitting cars and stuff), and we both get lot done at the same general speed.

Good luck, and I hope this newbie learns fast :D

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
I agree with Zaffy. And as a professional dog trainer, I'd like to add this:

1.) Do not judge a new guy for incompetence or misunderstanding. Be clear and simple with what the job is and how it needs to be done. Make him repeat things, no matter if it's boring. Constuctive criticism is good.
2.) Let him know when he is wrong and when he is right. "You're doing a good job" goes a loong way. Remember how rewarding it was when you completed training amd someone told you that? Encouragement is key. A book called "the one-minute manager" is a great reference. Making someone feel welcome and accepted is also vital to good training.
3.) Lastly, make sure he is confident and clear when you are done demonstrating how to do the job. At this point in the job, no question he asks is stupid. This is when you will know you have completed YOUR job.

Good luck, my friend.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store