Did melafix do this or is it a fungus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
So i rescued a green severum and jack dempsey from a guy who had them in a 75 and then i guess something happened and he had to move them to a 10 (i guess the 75 cracked or something) he said he had an Oscar, the severerum, an upside down cat, and the jack dempsey in it. Anyway i got the severum and dempsey from him and while the dempsey had just one split in his tail the severum had missing scales and shredded fins. So i put them in a 62 litre Rubbermaid container to quarentine and medicate them. So i started melafix yesterday and then when i got home today i noticed a white foam like substance where the missing scales and deep tears were. Is this the melafix working on the injuries or is it a fungus? Here are some pics.(the one without the white stuff is when i first got him.)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1352083814.918415.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1352084642.835206.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1352084700.334186.jpg

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Looks like bacterial action to me.
First, oil dilutions won't help with scrapes and missing scales. That is all Melafix or Primafix are. They have some small anti bacterial or anti fungal activity, but no where near enough for what your fish has.

I'd catch the fish and wipe the affected areas with a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide. That will wipe away a lot of gunk and help clean up the area. It doesn't help all that much for killing bacteria though, despite the foaming.
Next, take a scraping of he area to a local fish shop that has a microscope and knows how to use it. Then purchase the appropriate anti fungal or anti bacterial they recommend for halting an infection. If you can't get a referal, a treatment for both gram positive and gram negative bacterial would be called for.

Good luck.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
So its definently not just the melafix? Bc it didnt start till the melafix was added. Idk how i would catch him hes really big. Will the bacterial infection spread to my jd?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store