Anyone have an Oceanic NanoCube, 8 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Someone in my local CL (craigslist), has an Oceanic NanoCube (or is it BioCube) for sale. He listed it as a 10 gallon. But I can't find any references to a 10 gallon model. I find 8 and 14 gallon models. From the pic and surrounding items in the pic, I would say it's an 8 gallon.

I don't know anything about this type of tank but it seems to get good reviews. It's pretty dirty with scale and salt deposits and will need a lot of elbow grease. The filter powers up and runs but he can't find the cord for the light. I haven't seen it in person but the way he described it and from what I've read online, it's a ballast power cord combo? Is that right? If so they are about $50.

He's asking $30 for aquarium, empty, no other supplies. If I had to buy that cord, would it be worth it? Or would it be cheaper to just setup to setup a 10 gallon standard tank? I should have started this thread with the fact that I'm only looking to do a nano FO sw tank, with appropriately sized fish of course...or maybe reef only with some LR.

If I could get the tank running for $80 (plus probably needs a new bulb and filter cartridges), would it be worth it?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
There are two ballast/cords for the Biocube. One for each of the PC lamps. If it is missing both of these you can bet it is going to cost you a lot more than $80 to buy new ones (especially since they have been discontinued for several years and will be hard to find). Plus you will want new lamps.

You may be better off retrofitting it with some LED strips instead. It is a much nicer looking tank than a regular 10 gallon but I would inspect it carefully for scratches before buying it.
$30 is a bit high if it's scratched up and missing the ballasts. I would offer $20 at most.

Andy

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Thank you for the Ebay link but those are for the 29 gallon cube. They are not the same are they? I would expect the 29 gallon to have more powerful lights.

I haven't actually seen the tank. It's almost an hour drive one way. I'll probably pass knowing how much the cords will cost. If I'm going to retrofit the lights I just may as well setup a standard 10 gallon. Yes the cube does look nicer (if there are no scratches.... is it glass or acrylic?) but not sure if it's worth putting that much into it with all the unknowns.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Yep those are for the 29. You could probably use the same ballast as the ones for the 14 but the 29 ballasts would be driving the 18 watt Biocube 8 lamps too hard.

Biocubes are made with glass. But because sand is so much more commonly used in marine tanks, and coralline algae is harder to remove than freshwater algae the tanks often get scratched more frequently than freshwater tanks due to normal maintenance.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store