Best bottom dweller for a lake Malawi cichlid tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
I have been searching and searching for bottom dwellers for this tank I just don't know what to choose and what will work. I am hopefully getting a pair of albino BN plecos but I want a school.of bottom dwellers. I have looked at red tail sharks, red tail Botia loach, some cory cats, syno cats, pictus cat, I don't know what cool bottom dweller there is please help. My tank is 60 gallons 20 gallon sump with 11-12x turnover per hour. I have dead coral as a buffer. I add cichlid salt to my aquarium and use tap water conditioner and sometimes add carbon or quick start when doing water changes. I do 25% weekly water changes. Ph is about 7.4-7.8 its steady same color but the stupid API freshwater master kit I can't tell which shade the water is. Hope these water params can help you help me find a bottom dweller for my tank thanks:D:D:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
There hard to come by at my LFS. And I don't like the risk of online shipping especially because of school I'm not at my house a lot. Any other suggestions?

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
There hard to come by at my LFS. And I don't like the risk of online shipping especially because of school I'm not at my house a lot. Any other suggestions?

Can you get to the Fish hut in new jersey? I think they should be able to order them if they don't normally stock them. You want to get a group of at least 3.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
The S. Petricola are really your best option. Cory's are too small and peaceful, Pictus are big enough but not tough enough IMO, redtailed sharks are not real bottom dwellers(more middle) and only one to a tank so no schooling behavior. I've heard of people successfully keeping Botia with Africans, but the redtailed botia get pretty big(8" I think) so I don't think your tank is big enough for a school. If you try Botia I would make sure that they are larger than the cichlids to give them a chance to get established.

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
Maybe I am very far south in jersey. I think I saw a add for that place but it's up near NY maybe I can get up there I have a LFS that might order them for me I am calling them Monday when they make there order list for the week hopefully it works out.

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
At the moment I am just trying to get a good list of bottom dwellers to ask some LFS if the can order them for me. I am thinking since my birthday is coming up I might just order them online. Are dwarf petricola to small for cichlids or will they work.

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
Right now I'm stuck between petricola and pictus.....I love loaches though but there to big for my tank which I have slowly came to realize. Any other syno cats that will work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store