Aiptasia popping up everywhere!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
I've had my 20g nano reef running for over 4yrs, and never had aiptasia problem till now. Pretty sure they came on a mushroom rock u bought about a month ago. Anyways, I kno there is additives like Aiptasia X, but always hesitate to pour new things into my tank. Read peppermint shrimp will eat them, they do a pretty good job? My aiptasia problem not too bad yet, but wanna get the upper hand on it before they everywhere. Any good suggestions?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've successfully used Pep's before, just make sure the place your getting them from is actually selling peppermints not camel shrimp. I've heard places do that, though I've never seen it around here.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Wise that you are jumping on them. After using kalk paste (Aptasia X) for years, I reluctantly bought 2 peps and I'm so glad that I did. No guarantees but I had goodluck. Definitely google camel shrimp before you buy.

The kalk worked but it was only temporary in my case.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Same here... Aiptasia X, Joe's Juice seems to be a temporary fix for me. Through time they keep coming back.

peppermints are a hit or a miss (worked for me, however they left the larger aiptasias alone)

The best Aiptasia killers I've had were filefish, however, they eventually died once the tank was free of any sign of aiptasia

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Will definitely look into the shrimp then. Due to the small size of tank, I'll probably pass on the filefish. Camel shrimp, think I used to hav couple of those yrs back in another tank. Will check them out too. Thank for input :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You don't want camel shrimp they are not reef safe, some places mistakenly label them as peppermints though so make sure the pep's you're buying aren't camels.

wienerdog

AC Members
Jan 20, 2011
There are also new lasers out that specifically burn the aiptasia. They are very specific and easy to use.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I did the laser thing, borrowed one from a friend was cool to shoot and see and hear the aiptasia sizzle but you'll likely never get them all and the lasers aren't cheap. I fried a few in my tank but more popped up added peppermints haven't seen any since.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Lol The laser method sounds fun! Gonna look into that, maybe buy one just for when I'm bored lol...in meantime, I'll stick with the peppermint shrimps. My LFS doesn't hav any on hand, but should soon. Would u only go with 1 for a 20g?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store