My angel fish are acting like cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I have 2 angel fish in a 29 gallon tank woth some cories they are about the size of my palm now and are showing some agression to each other and the cories. Do I need to separate them? It is a planted tank, but it would be hard to re arrange. I trimmed some plants tonight to be sure they had swimming room.

Assassynation

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
angel fish are cichlids

Depending on the size of your angels and the species of cory, you should keep a count of how many cories daily. If they have enough hiding places you might be ok.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
describe the aggression between them

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
what angelfish agression is compared to other cichlid aggression is "angelic"

most other cichlids do not nip at tankmates but rather attempt to do something "not angelic"

[video=youtube;W2yrqXzwouY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2yrqXzwouY[/video]

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Angelc angel fish are not so angelic when dealing within it's species..they can be very conspecific aggressive..
I have an angel that is a loner as it cannot live with any other fish save the 6" bn's in the tank..
he's killed all tank mates (rams, tetras other angels) or done serious harm to them.. it is a Peruvian Angel (wild) I find the wild have a more 'varied' temperament ;)

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
locking lips with each other and pecking they are eay to tell apart due to coloration, Only one is aggressive to the other angel and the cories. There are two pieces of drift wood for cover as well as stands of plants. A pretty large amazon sword, some spirling grass, and some jungle vals. I've had breeding pairs of angels before so I'm not new to their behavior, but I don't think this is a breeding pair although they are now big enough to display that behavior.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
good news:y220e:

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
I am glad I saw this post. My angles in my 40 just started doing this jaw locking thing about 3 minutes ago. Is it possible they are trying to breed? Is this just them taking out aggression on each other. And if I need to seperate them can I put one in my 55 african cichlid tank?

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store