Blood Red Fire Shrimp are two better then one?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've got one, I've read they're more active with two. Now my single guy is pretty active but reclusive he stays on the backside of the rockwork only venturing to the front when the tank gets fed or the lights go out. Would having a pair of them make them more likely to venture out front?

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
my preference has always been to have (at least) two of every species, unless there are known issues of intra-species aggression. As to whether it would lead to them being out more I suppose there is no way to know for sure other than to try it and see. It seems likely to me based on the shrimp I've had but there are always individual differences. If nothing else you would have twice as many chances to see them in any event.

I don't know what the super-high-end cherries go for but why not look towards adding half a dozen? Even regular cheap cherries would help with the socialization factor if you're not interested in breeding for sale. And who knows, your blood-red might improve the overall genetics enough that they would pay for themselve a generation down the road anyway. :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Different shrimp these are marine shrimp no relation to cherry red's already have over hundred of those in other tanks :)

These guys are hermaphroditic from what I've heard shouldn't keep more then two once they pair up they'll kill others over territory.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
That is correct, no more than two of those guys/gals :). Unfortunately there isn't a definite answer so you'll have to drop $40 to $50 to find out :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store