Keeping a bin of prepared saltwater, bad idea?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I have a 60 gallon bin that I've been keeping my newly prepared saltwater in. I keep a pump and heater in there. I like having saltwater always available because it makes water changes so much easier. I usually change a 5 gallon bucket weekly (or shorter) this way. It's also very easy to keep the new saltwater at proper levels and temperature.

I added a split on my autotopoff that fills up the bin whenever I choose to.

My question is: Is there any ill effects on having a prepared bin (with heater and circulation) that always has (RODI) water in it? Can the water for whatever reason eventually turn bad?

(sure, sounds like a stupid question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry... )

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I had two 30gal bins that I always kept full, one with RODI and one with mixed saltwater. The RODI water was just still with a cover on it, the SW one always had a powerhead running. I would drain the aquarium for the water change, fill it back up with the mixed SW, transfer the RODI into the SW bin and add salt to mix, then turn the RODI system on to start filling the empty bin. It worked out well because I would just do a 30gal change every week, so it was the proper volume to exchange 100% of the water in each bin every week, plus I always had some mixed sw and some RODI water available if needed.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
As long as it is covered and you can be certain that nothing foreign makes its way into the water, you shouldn't have any problems. Lots of people use this method, especially those with big tanks. The only concern I can think of is if your container is made of a material that is eventually broken down by SW. Seems like the food grade rubbermaid trash cans are the container of choice but I have also seen plenty of threads voicing concerns of leaching from these containers. This seems too be hit or miss and I have also read posts from hobbiests that work in the plastic industry and contest that there is no way that anything harmful can be leaching from those tubs that would harm a tank (unless it was something applied to the surface after it left the manufacturer). Long answer to say, you should be fine. Carry on :).

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Its the way I've always done it I have a large container of mixed SW then another of just RODI.

As long as the containers are food grade like greech said shouldn't be any problems. Plain Rubbermaid labeled usually aren't though its the Brute labelled ones made by rubbermaid. Though I really don't know how much if any danger non foodgrade ones hold, I know people who'veused rubbermaid storage bins for curing rock, and temporarily holding livestock and I highly doubt those are food grade. I use the Brute ones anyway though.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I have a trash can that holds salt water with a heater and a cric pump. Also a 55gal ATO drum in the spare room that's RO/DI with a line through the wall into the sump.

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I've been using a Brute can for years without issue. I do not use a heater in it though, just a couple of powerheads. I definitely keep it covered, as we have 2 cats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store