43 days...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Until the end of the woeld.
Which did you choose bucket list or bomb shelter.... :nilly:
Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Lol I know thos thread is displaying it jokingly but how in the world do people actually ever believe the world is just going to end

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Lol I know thos thread is displaying it jokingly but how in the world do people actually ever believe the world is just going to end
because the Mayans said so!

nah, but really... i'm starting to research Doomsday Prepping. it actually sounds pretty cool to be a prepper. gotta get ready for the zombies/massive earthquake/economy collapse/airborne aids/yellowstone volcano/solar flare/EMP attack/nuke attack/oil cutoff/martial law... maybe some other stuff

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
The proper doomsday prepping is training to overtake someone else's doomsday shelter. ;) Create an army!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
There are three or four ways it could happen:

1) Unexpected Solar Flare that takes out our electronics (not just because all ur facebook pictures would be gone!). This particular disaster is one we cannot stop, but can prepare for by shutting down electronics and power stations if we see the storm coming via satellites/detection systems soon enough. This one would not directly harm human (these flares have happened many times in the past, and will in the future) but will destroy our ability to exist as a technological species until we rebuild the power grid and such. Would cause economic collapse, serious food shortages due to power failure on half the planet (the dark side of earth would fair better I think). Would not be fun to live in that world though - the rebuilding would take decades, assuming we were able to do so at all.

2) Undetected asteroid - there is always a chance that we have missed that one dino-killer asteroid that could do us in (and the myans may have gotten lucky and spotted it). In such a world, humans as a species would survive - as a civilization we would be sent back to the stone age by the ice age that would follow and lack of food which would cause food wars.

3) Yellowstone Super volcano - we have no way to predict this, and no way to stop it. This event would cause a global winter, destroy much of the Midwest (Bread Basket region and tornado ally under several feet of volcanic ash) and devastate the entire global community. It would end travel for years, keep planes out of the sky for months, and probably wipe out about 1/3 of the global population by the time all the aftereffects (food shortages, ash cloud detoxification, cement ash affect) came to a close.

4) Nuclear War - This is by far the most likely to occurr within our life-times. It only takes one terrorist with a nuc to start WW3 and destroy human civilization. This would cause a new ice age, but would probably leave large regions of the world undamaged. Bombs are aimed at cities, not wilderness, so earth would be able to make a full recovery given time. Humans may not be so lucky, we would probably never be able to get a second industrial revolution at this point in our history.

5) Mystery Virus/Zombie Scenario - This is the one no one really thinks can happen, but is no less likely then the others. Humans have the ability to genetically alter bacteria, viruses, and even animals (parasites). We could probably create something like the T-Virus (Resident Evil) or an airborne HIV virus. Or perhaps something that is as incurable as HIV and as contagious and adaptable as the Common Cold. Humans have the technology, it's only a matter of time before we a) use it, or b) screw up and accidentally kill ourselves. Due to our massive amounts of travel, such a disease would be able to become global before we even managed to catch wind of it's existence.

Imagine a virus that has an Incubation Stage (no affects) of 2 weeks (like Chicken Pox), a Prodromal Stage of 1 week (this is when u feel bad, but have no specific symptoms and are capable of spreading the disease), and then an actual illness stage of 2 days (at which point you would either get better or die). That kind of disease could easily become global before anyone ever realized it existed.

6) Economic Collapse - Common everyone, we're closer to this then ever before. If the bottom drops out of the US Government, the USDollar becomes useless and the entire US is basically screwed. This will have the ripple affect of destroying the global economy due to the US's massive consumption rate - though Europe is getting close to us (not that they are fairing much better - the Euro is more valuable the the USD, but it's also shaky). This would be downright devastating for the people left behind by the economic disaster - the richer you are, the most screwed you are.

7) Ice Shelf Collapse - This one is also liable to happen in my life time, perhaps yours. If the Greenland Ice Shelf collapses, the ocean level WILL rise. Whether by a few feet or by 20 doesn't matter, even a foot would devastate coastal communities, and the sheer amount of freshwater would change the ocean's salinity - causing creatures that can't adapt to die. It would also shut down the Gulf Stream, which keeps the planet's climate from collapsing into a chaotic mixture of ice age in the northern hemi and drought/heatwaves in the southern hemi. Then there is the Southern Ice Cap, portions of which could collapse and do as much damage as the Greenland Ice Shelf. Needless to say, the ecological affects would be immense, but so would the economical effects - imagine every coastal port city with 20-40ft more seawater. That would pretty much shut down coastal trade and reduce overseas trade to what river-city ports can handle (not as much as ocean city ports).

So, pick your poison or think up another - there are a thousand ways to die and a few ways to survive. Good luck, humanity!

*Disclaimer - I do not want any of these events to occur, and cannot claim to know all of the details of these events. I've watched a lot of disaster and doomsday shows, this is what I've retained from it. Feel free to correct me if I am incorrect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store