Jaguar Cichlid layed eggs, no male

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Hello all, my 2 year old jaguar Cichlid revealed today that it is a female. She layed eggs on the glass at the rear of the aquarium. She is a solo jag but still layed. There are only 2 other cichlids in the tank, not of which are tiger oscars. Any chance of offspring?

This seems early for a jag to lay. What would bring on a very juvenile jag to lay with no same species mate?

Tank mates are:
2 tiger oscars
1 redtail cat
1 marble goby
1 common pleco
1 silver arowana

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
It is not unusual for new world cichlids to breed well before full size. It is more unusual for them to lay eggs without a mate, but it does happen. I think a pairing with an Oscar is unlikely since they are from different genera and continents.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
It is not unusual for new world cichlids to breed well before full size. It is more unusual for them to lay eggs without a mate, but it does happen. I think a pairing with an Oscar is unlikely since they are from different genera and continents.

I've bred angels and convicts on numerous occasions and never had them lay without a mate. Any reason she would lay without the expectation o a male to fertilize?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I wouldn't consider a 2 year old fish to be a juvenile. Perhaps not fully grown, size-wise, but certainly fully developed. Lots of different fish will lay without a mate present...their bodies are pretty much programmed to produce eggs, they have to get rid of them somehow.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
This isn't rare at all when it comes to cichlids. I have a 3 year old Black Belt that lives by herself and she lays eggs like clockwork every 3 weeks. Hmmm....maybe I should get her a boyfriend?

xUnRaTeDxxRkOx

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
www.FaceBook.com
Real Name
Mike R.
This isn't rare at all when it comes to cichlids. I have a 3 year old Black Belt that lives by herself and she lays eggs like clockwork every 3 weeks. Hmmm....maybe I should get her a boyfriend?

I fully agree with you, I used to have a 6" Female Jaguar Cichlid that would lay eggs without any other fish present in the tank. Once a month she would lay eggs, and guard them as if they were fertile. When I introduced a 8" Male Jag to the tank she went nuts and tried to kill him, but when I put in a 7" Red Oscar in the tank with her, she kept trying to court him lol. But it's very normal for a female new world cichlid to lay eggs without any other fish present in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store