New 55g LAke Malawi Mbuna Setup Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brandonv23

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2008
I am working on setting up a 55g lake Malawi mbuna tank. I have the rocks all set up now I am wondering how to best position my filters and powerhead. I have my rocks piled up down there centre of the tank going the length of the tank so I have room in front and behind them. I have an Eheim 2217 filter, an AC70 filter and a Hydor Koralia powerhead. What I was thinking of doing was putting the Eheim intake on the back left side, the spraybar outut in the back right oriented vertically so that it sprays a current down the back of the tank toward the intake. I would put the powerhead in the front right pushing current toward the front left to create a counter clockwise current in the tank. I would place the AC70 somewhere near the middle of the tank and I was hoping this would give me enough aeration for proper oxygenation of the water since the spraybar will be vertical and not provide surface agitation.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Africans from lake Malawi don't need/like a whole lot of current, but it's more of a preference thing, so they'll be fine. If you see that they're uncomfortable, just make some changes to either the positioning of your outputs, or to the power of them. I'm actually planning to downgrade my filter, since my fish seem to intentionally avoid the current it produces.

Good luck, and welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store