colonizing rcs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heisenberg12

AC Members
Aug 4, 2012
what are the chances of colonizing rcs in a heavily planted community tank? tank mates will eventually include discus, blue rams, tetras and a black ghost knife. i know some will get eaten but can i maintain population?

thanks

Sent from my MB870 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
It all really depends on how big & heavily planted your tank is & how often you feed your fish, the more hiding places you provide for your fish the better odds they'll have of surviving. In all honesty you'll have a heck of a time trying get a decent colony of rcs started in a tank full of tank mates that view them as food even if you keep your fish well feed. You can get a decent colony of rcs going in a tank with Otos or cories ONLY but discus, tetras & rams will all go after your shrimp pretty aggressively.

Heisenberg12

AC Members
Aug 4, 2012
sorry my tank is a 120, very dense background plants. thanks for the input i guess I'll just give it a try

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
sorry my tank is a 120, very dense background plants. thanks for the input i guess I'll just give it a try

Yep, best way to find out is too give it a try... Keep your fish well fed so they'll be somewhat less inclined to go after the shrimp out of hunger. Good luck

azolla

Invertafreak
Feb 26, 2010
Cape Cod, MA
good luck with that. i know a friend had a 150g heavily planted that had a huge colony of cherry shrimp. he soon decided that he liked the look of Iriwani rainbows. so he added about 8 and within 4 months, no shrimp could be found.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store