Lighting Question for a Noob

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mhalmhof

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2012
Hey,

I'm literally minutes old to this site but have already found it to be a huge help for some of the basic questions I had.

For my first post, its probably an easy answer but you guys would know much better than me.

For lighting, when you see just a standard saltwater display tank in a store (with fish), what color/wattage bulbs are they using? You know how the water is always so clear but has that nice blue tint to it? That's what I'm wanting ultimately. My plans are for the tank to be fish only with live rock. I guess on a side note, what is the recommended live rock per gallon ratio?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm sure this won't be the first question I have. I am also open to stocking suggestions for the long run. I'd love to have a lionfish, but will that be more grief than enjoyment?

Thanks again

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Stores often do heavy actinic or blue LEDs. Then whatever bulb combination they feel like bothering with after that.

Since you are talking fish only, you probably won't care about bulb combinations so just about anything will do. Usually we look at a scale from 20,000K to 6,700K for saltie tanks. The higher, the bluer/purpler. The lower the more yellow/orange/red. 10,000K or 12,000K is often the middle ground and pretty much "white". 20,000K may be about what you are thinking of, since stores go heavy blue.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Welcome!

The blue tint lighting you see ranges from 14K to 20K in terns of color temperature and can be accomplished in many ways. T5's, halides and LEDs all have their own extremes depending on the bulbs you choose. ATI Blue+ T5 bulbs for example are right in the 14K range.

I'm not a "big" fish fan but if I were, I would get a Marine Beta :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store