What algae eater will co-exist with african cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ckrause

AC Members
Jan 24, 2007
Pocono Mountains
Real Name
Chuck
I had a large pleco but he and 7 other of my fish died during hurricane sandy. I managed to save 4, my biggest and brightest male electric blue an orange cichlid I don't know what it is, and 2 female peacocks.
Algae is beginning to build up, I don't have any plants and only light the aquarium 7 hours a day.
I was thinking about buying a 3-4 inch albino bristlenose pleco for $20 but not sure if he would make it. My tank is 56 gallons, deeper than it is wide, not planted, plenty of rocks to hide and my biggest cichlid is about 4.5 inches the others range from 2.5-4.

What do you guys and gals think?

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
I had this same problem recently. I think the plece could possibly fair with the cichlids. Given he is a new member maybe not because a 4.5" cichlid is big and sure to be aggressive. I peraonnaly just bought a trio of pictus catfish for my African tank there doing very well and are awesome fish with great personality. Maybe look into syno petricola to get at a good size like 4-5" to add to your tank might be pricy though. Bottom line with bigger cichlids you have around 4" any new member smaller or same size might have aggression issues from the cichlids but the fight cat fish species or pleco could do well. To answer about the albino bristle nose which btw I am thinking of adding to my African tank as well do it with caution. Be observant of aggression and maybe pick up a new decoration like a cave for your new pleco. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
Sorry just realized you wanted a algae eater....I talked a lot about just cool bottom dwellers sorry but hopefully my advice about the pleco still helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Only have your lights on when viewing your fish, and clean any algae yourself. I don't see any reason that you need any type of algae eater.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I don't see any reason that you need any type of algae eater.
maybe for a false sense of "balanced ecosystem?" but prolly mostly for convenience.

you can try giving your pleco somewhere to hide where the cichlids won't bug him. I've wanted to try a long, tight pvc pipe/hollow driftwood near the top of the tank, suction cupped to the glass. you can give large Nerites a try. it's all hit or miss, but like a continuous daily hit or miss situation :p

Gusto

AC Members
Aug 29, 2009
I had an algae problem and cut my light time and also put some snails (Nerite and Zebra) between the both it did the trick and also the snails added some diversity.. Hope that helps.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Bristlenose Pleco is an accepted combination with malawis although some end up with an eye removed. It helps if you introduce them when they're young.

I have an Hypostomus Cochliodon species (possible L310 but unsure) in with mine and it does absolutely fine - it more than holds its own with the occasional cock-sure mbuna. Grows to a nice size but not huge either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store