mystery plague rampaging through my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MentalUproar

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Where the wild things are
Real Name
Anastasia Romanov
I introduced some gold dust mollies into my aquarium without isolating them first and they introduced some weird disease into my tank. I don't know what it is or how to treat it.

One by one, the mollies got thin and weak and died. Then my platty got a fungal infection, became weak, and died. Then a Cory died with no symptoms at all. Then I noticed ALL of my tetras were covered in white spots. I raised the temperature, added an air stone, cleaned the tank out more and added salt, slowly.

3 days later and the tetras started having stands hanging off their otherwise pristine fins, and they looked like their scales and slime were just melting off. I tried ich medication, thinking it could POSSIBLY be anchor worms. Yes, I removed the carbon.

I'm just ended my second round of treatment. No improvement. The one last tetra is died covered in raised white dots. My cory started flashing after a water change. He stirred up so much sand, I saw it from across my apartment. Poor guy!

The betta is just fine though. He's very happy, eating well, etc. The remaining Molly is very thin and weak.

I couldn't get any photos because I only have an iPhone as a camera, which is awful for capturing fish. What is this?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
do you have your water parameters?
maint schedule..etc
raised white dots usually ich.. treatment is specific and needs to be done over the course of several days.
you can search Ich in the search feature here and get plenty of hits on how to treat etc.. also look to the stickies at the top of the sections.
keep in mind ich can infect the gills before it's visible on the skin/scales of the fish. it can weaken the host and open the host to secondary infections(bacterial)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what makes you think it can't be ich?

MentalUproar

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Where the wild things are
Real Name
Anastasia Romanov
Heat, salt and two weeks of medication won't kill it. The last tetra died, as did a molly. only a snail, molly, cory, and betta remain in the entire tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What salt concentration did you bring the tank to? Three days later, you state you added ich medication..what kind? And did you maintain the same level of salt concurrently? Any water changes since this all started and did you add back salt to maintain the concentration?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store