pop eye- do I need to treat this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
I read that in a lot of cases pop eye is caused by a scratch or injury. One of the blue rams I have in quarantine has one eye that is getting huge. I believe it was cause by an injury because there is a rough rock in the bucket with them. I have been doing water changes every 3 days and they have a sponge filter. 2 days ago I noticed the bulging eye and did a 50% water change. I saw this today and did a 100% water change and separated the fish in case it is contagious.

They have been in quarantine for 3 weeks and I am going to watch the healthy fish for 3 more days then add it to my 90 gallon.
Will I need to treat the injured fish with medication or should I just keep the water clean with water changes?

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Treat sooner the better...if was cause by injury, I've had great success treating with melefix. If not treated soon enough, fish may lose eye...happened 2 one of my gars

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
I never been huge on dumping meds and chemicals into my tanks, but id recommend using sum melefix. Bout only med I keep on hand at all times, has never let me down or caused problems to water.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I would highly recommend keeping some salt and some melefix around just in case. They are my favorite go to's, before I go to the harsher stuff.

Emily

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've always advocated clean water.

not a big fan of using melafix or pimafix for any conditions that may require intervention like an antibiotic.

many fish can survive the loss of an eye from 'popeye' often it's wait and see.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
I've always advocated clean water.

not a big fan of using melafix or pimafix for any conditions that may require intervention like an antibiotic.

many fish can survive the loss of an eye from 'popeye' often it's wait and see.
U ever hav a fish lose an eye due to your procrastination of medication? It's not very pretty, unless u lookin for that hardcore pirate fish. Screw Pimafix, but melefix does wonders, as long as u don't OD your fish on it.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Just use melefix as directed. Within a month or less, should see improvement. Yes, adding correct amount of salt may help 'supercharge' melefix, but I still hav no proof of it. Stick with Melefix, it's your best bet. Not sure who to believe, just check out profiles. I'm no newbie :rolleyes:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
U ever hav a fish lose an eye due to your procrastination of medication? It's not very pretty, unless u lookin for that hardcore pirate fish. Screw Pimafix, but melefix does wonders, as long as u don't OD your fish on it.

Actually , Yes I have..I simply kept the water clean , the injury healed but loss of eye is very common. the fish is still alive 3years later..
there are too many ways a fish can get popeye, the biggest concern is infection that can result from the injury..if that happens use of broad spectrum antibiotics are the best course of action.. but they may not help reduce the eventual loss of the eye..
addition of mealfix may help an external issue (IMO rare) but will do very little to aid an internal affliction.

IMO Melafix/pimafix are in the same category as aquarium salt.

that said I do keep on hand medications ie Furan, Levamiole, erythromycin, prazi, metro etc..

I do find it prudent to have meds available and will often treat new fish for internal parasites and QT for 3-4 weeks prior to adding to any existing stock

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store