Rookie build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
Hi all I am turning my 36 gallon bf that I have kept as a freshwater tank into a fowlr.
My starting equipment is ..
Fluval heater,fluval canister filter the 305, coralife pc light.
Today I performed a thorough cleaning of all equipment.
I purchased 15g rodi water,and 20 gallons from there tanks,I trust this lfs.
I bought 2 bags live sand and a couple lbs from there tanks.bout three inches
I have not added rock yet will get that in about a week.
I am going to get a hob skimmer,unless yall tell me of a small sump set up I dont have to drill holes for.
I am still researching a stock list ,am in no rush
thats it so far any idea or guidance would be appreciated.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Don't know your budget but hob skimmer is ok, they do make hob overflow boxes though so you can have a sump without drilling, drilling is much better way to do it though.

Don't know what your LFS charges for water but in the long run your much better off buying your own RODI unit. If you already added sand and water when you get your rock shift your sand around and try to set the base layer of rock on tank glass, since you don't know your stocking plans if you decide to get something that burrows you dont want it crushing or trapping itself when it digs all the sand out from under the rock. Clean the canister often, cant let them go a long time like in FW cause they can produce alot of nitrates and phophates.

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
Great info ty. I am getting a sump setup like you mentioned, once I go with corals. I will still have to go with a hob skimmer :(The sump that will fit my setup wont fit a skimmer. I took all of the ceramic out of the fluval and put in some
NP reducing bio pellets.I did leave in the bags of charcoal, should I remove them also ? I got a killer piece of rock that was put in the $3 lb tank when it should have been put in the $7lb tank lol but the guy's at my lfs gladly honored there mistake. I also got 1 2 1/2 lb piece of live rock to help with seeding I'll post a couple pics soon.

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
Well here is a poor phone pic the sandstorm is still settling.i'll bust out the eos dslr when it clears lol I gotta clean it from the dusty horse trail ride last weekend ...My horses are the reason i cant just go buy all the equip up front lo just had to spend 4k on new fencing. O and what should my lighting cycle be it is dark in this room even in day.

2012-11-19_21-54-15_8.jpg

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Great info ty. I am getting a sump setup like you mentioned, once I go with corals. I will still have to go with a hob skimmer :(The sump that will fit my setup wont fit a skimmer. I took all of the ceramic out of the fluval and put in some
NP reducing bio pellets.I did leave in the bags of charcoal, should I remove them also ? I got a killer piece of rock that was put in the $3 lb tank when it should have been put in the $7lb tank lol but the guy's at my lfs gladly honored there mistake. I also got 1 2 1/2 lb piece of live rock to help with seeding I'll post a couple pics soon.
Some of the HOB skimmers are pretty good as long as your willing to get a decent one its not a huge deal other then the lack of clean look with extra equipment. You can run carbon if you want some do some don't, I use Purigen myself.

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
lighting is a coralife 50/50 for now

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
what is Purigen i have not seen it

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
PC's? I never had those, probably 8-9 hours would be fine, if you had a white and actinic in I'd say 8-9 on both bulbs and let the actinics come on 60-90 minutes before and stay on the same after the white.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store