African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drbooda

Registered Member
Nov 18, 2012
Hi. I'm setting up a 150 gallon tank that will be Malawi cichlids. Its been cycling for a week or so now and I have what I believe is a rather silly question but want to just get it out there. Should I use carbon and or ammonia reducing substrate (each is contained in a cheese cloth like bag as part of the built in wet/dry filter in back of tank)? Or, just a mechanical filter (foam like mesh) prior to the bio balls?
Thanks for any help.
Rich

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Malawi cichlids produce great amount of biological discharge. So, I use the mechanical filtration foam, the biological filtration (ceramic rings or bio balls) and a good quality carbon for chemical filtration (my favorite is Chemi Pure; best if it is Chemi Pure Elite). Many people do not use carbon; but I use it with Malawi cichlids and not with small fishes. Just my opinion.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
+1

I'm not sure what an ammonia reducing substrate is, but for the purpose of removing ammonia, all you need is the biological filtration in your filter.

Welcome to AC!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I add new Carbon and ammonia chips to a filter bag that i place in my canister filter each time i clean the canisters out, one bag for carbon and one bag for ammonia.. It makes me feel better about my fish and is a me thing, so i would say yeah but place the bags in the wet and dry under a water flow..

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I add carbon. I dont see the need for ammonia chips as I have an Eheim 2217 and 2260 on a 150. I use the 2217 to house the carbon and only carbon and sponges.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
You should be fine with a mechanical filter and biological filtration. Carbon can be handy for removing medication, but in general is not necessary. Generally water changes are a better approach rather than ammonia chips in keeping nitrate levels under control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store