Water Quality Help Needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
Hello all, I have a 90 gallon reef (some day in the future be moving to my 180 gallon reef ready I just got for free). I have had the tank up for 7 years now and have noticed some odd things about the aquarium.

Setup for all to know is:
90 gallon tank
20 gallon sump
ASM g2 Skimmer (not moded, thinking of doing that soon to help get it working better)
10 gallon refugium (removed the sand and rock and just have clerpa in there)
(2) 175 watt metal halides
(2) 48" Actinics

I have to scrape my aquarium glass once ever 2 - 4 days from algea growth. I also have 0 coraline algea. First 2 - 3 years I had it and now its all gone. Why is my question?

Water Quality is this:
Calcium 450
Nitrate 20 ppm (best I can do for some reason)
Phosphate 5 ppm (just started testing this, not sure if that is horrible)
PH is always perfect
Alk is always perfect

Was thinking of making an algae scrubber but not sure if I could set that up on my existing 90 with where it is and the room I have below where the sump is.

I go a 30 - 35 gallon water change ever 3 - 4 weeks...
I do run an RO - DI Filter also

Corals grow great, fish are alive and well... However I know its just not right.

I have just recently I would say this year, been cleaning the sand. I thought (and I am an idiot I know) the sand took care of itself. So it got bad and had my nitrates up to 40 ppm or q little higher... Every time I do a water change now I clean the sand the best I can in the front and the places where I cannot get to the sand well I have been sucking it up and cleaning it a bit and putting it back in the tank... is there a better way? how do you guys clean your sand?

I know that is allot to take in but at this point with me upgrading in the future i would like to know allot more than I do I guess... would like to have my 90 working well so I can plan and do better for my 180 gallon some day.

Here is a pic of my tank that is somewhat recent... with in the last 2 months...

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
How long do you have your lights on each day?

Leaving them on for more than 8-9 hrs can definitely contribute to algae problems.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I think you need to up your water changes some, 5 ppm of phosphates is really high, when was the last time you changed your filters on your ro system?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Little late on this but your tank looks great. I would double check that PO4 result with a different tester. While you likely wouldn't lose any LPS or softies at that numbee, most SPS would be having a hard time surviving and at the very least be a dull brown color. At 5ppm, you should see a lot more algae growth than just what is on your glass. At 7 years you may be starting to see the onset of "old tank syndrome". I'm sure you know this but LR pretty much acts like a sponge and getting the nitients to leach out can take some time. I think you are on the right track with being a bit more aggressive with what you do in each water change. FWIW, I simply change out my sand once in a while. I don't change it all at once but I will change it out every couple of years over the course of several water changes. You might want to use a small pump to blow out your rocks during each change as well.

I agree with Rneiswander that you should increase the frequency of your water changes and if you are not doing so already, consider adding a media reactor to run carbon and GFO. All of that of course depends on the accuracy of your PO4 measurement. Everything looks pretty happy so don't fix it if it ain't broken! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store