Water change frequency

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonrusso

AC Members
Oct 24, 2012
I am new to the saltwater community and I have a likely newbie question. I
recently started my tank (75 gallon, corner overflow) and I purchased all my
equipment and rock, sand, water from someone getting out of the hobby.
Basically, I bought an established tank with acclimated rock and sand. I have
fish in the tank and everything seems healthy, but I can't seem to get my
nitrates down. Everything else is perfect, KH 12, PH 8.3, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0,
Nitrates 80-100ppm. I know that I need to perform water changes for this, but
how much is too much? I have a RO/DI systerm that I put into a trash barrel
with a heater. It holds about 15 gallons so it really isn't a big deal for me
to do up to 15 gallons a day. So, how much is too much? Can I do 10 gallons
every other day until the number is more reasonable?

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Well as far as too much, I would never go past a 50% of your tank volume. And the only time I would do a 50% is if something was very wrong with the water, like it was a tank crashing threat on my hands. That's just me though, some people like to throw in a 50% water change after 6 months or so. My normal water change routine for 92 is 10 gal every week with a 20 gal thrown in every 4 or 5 weeks.

As far as a 10 gal change every other day, that's sounds fine and IMO its a reasonable way to get the nitrates down. But since you're already at 80-100 ppm of nitrate, I would probably do something like a 20-25 gal water change, then switch to 10-15 gal everyday for about 2-3 days, then switch to 10 every other day. Definitely stay on track on nitrate tests to make sure it's coming down cause 80-100 ppm is pretty high.

If you do the 10 every other day, that might be too slow in getting the nitrates down. If it were my tank, I would want the trates lower sooner since there's fish in there already.

Btw are there corals in there?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yes, because your Nitrates are already so high I would do a major WC first--about 25-30%. Then another aboyt a week later.

You have a corner filter== Wet/Dry?? Wet/Drys are major Nitrate makers. You may have to get a Nitrate reactor to get way down.

jasonrusso

AC Members
Oct 24, 2012
No, no corals, just live rock. Corner overflow with a sump. No bio-balls, just a foam pad in the bubble barrier. I also have an overkill protien skimmer

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
A fuge would help along with the water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store