excited and bummed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
As I am sure all of you have gone through what I am at the moment. I recently set my first saltwater tank up. I got live sand, bought 70% of my water from my lfs tanks and 30% mixed from them. I got a steal on a pretty large rock from them due to there mistake :) it is a 35-40 lb rock that was in the 3$ bin when it should have been in the 7$lb bin. I got a pretty 2 1/2 lb piece of live rock to help further seed the tank. The dust settled and for the past couple days I stare intensely at the rock. I see changes although little changes they excite me. Then I see it tonight little piece of something I am sure is alive! Well I go looking to see what it is.....To my sadness its the dreaded APTASIA ! grrr lol. I trust you all here so whats the best method for removal? And is it atleast a little bit of a good sign thing are staying alive albeit a invasive species ?IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You can inject it with some lemon juice. As far it being able to survive they can survive in horrible conditions, I've been holding one I found a few weeks ago when I was rinsing and trimming my chaeto prisoner in a 2.5g tank with about 1/2 gallon of water in it, no filtertration, heat or water movment and its still doing fine.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
If the rock is not too big, I would take out and inject some VERY HOT water into/onto the aptasia. Use a small cup of hot water and inject with an eye-dropper. Then put back into tank.

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
lol it was a mistake the guy at lfs a very clear mistake. I got a small cleanup crew and a peppermint shrimp,I will first try him on the aptasia if I dont see it gone in a couple days ill resort to other measures.
I also have a question. What is best method for cleaning the outside of my tanks glass ? I am a clutz and always splash lol so im dealing with salt residue

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Squirt bottle with water and a squigee. Other than that a damp paper towel and then a dry one. You can use glass cleaner if you want, just spray it on a towel first and not on the glass. Water has always worked best for me.

Congrats on the tank startup! You have some nice macro algae on that rock but you may want to read up on it before you get too far down the road. Looks like you have a species of Halmidea which is a calcaroues algae. Some of these can go "sexual" when left unattended and that may or may not result in some unwanted consequences.

aquanooby

AC Members
Jul 24, 2009
columbia South carolina
Real Name
lew
great info they have died off a bit through the cycle I'm keeping and eye on them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store