Angelfish color

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

t2dxk0

AC Members
Jan 28, 2008
hello, I have a 29 with an silver dollar sized angel and two juvenile blue gouramis.
They've been in there for 2 weeks.
I'm wondering why the angels color comes and goes. Sometimes the black stripes disappear.
He doesn't show any signs of stress in his appearance or behavior.
One blue gourami who i'm pretty sure is a male is slightly larger than him and the angel follows him around thinking he will be led to food i'm guessing. The gourami completely ignores him.
Is it normal for the color to come and go, and what might cause that?
Thanks a lot

codywils34

AC Members
Dec 4, 2011
I, too, have an angelfish whose stripes come and go. I do believe it can show signs of stress but the may fade and darken for a number of other reasons. Mine changed her stripes non-stop throughout the day, but was never stressed for any reason. They darken their stripes occasionally to intimidate or show their assertiveness to other fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It's perfectly normal behavior and isn't cause for alarm. A few things factor into an Angelfish fading/darkening including light levels, nervousness/stress, and dominance/submission displays.

t2dxk0

AC Members
Jan 28, 2008
It's perfectly normal behavior and isn't cause for alarm. A few things factor into an Angelfish fading/darkening including light levels, nervousness/stress, and dominance/submission displays.
I never had an angel or any cichlid before so i wasn't sure, thanks for the help!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
It is normal for silvers to have their stripes fade at different times of the day. it is not just a trait specific to any color pattern. I see it in all my silver scalare as well as Altum

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
Thats cool. I just got three angles my self. Have a marble silver black orange that is becoming more orange as he matures. looks like he may develop an orange ring from top fin to bottom fin.
a mostly silver with black and little bit orange.
And an all black may be a non veil his fins look short and clipped. he is changing to black with stripes and some silver grey patches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store