Breeding "king" betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gar man

cookies!!!
Dec 31, 2008
council bluffs,IA
I apologize in advance if i have placed this into the wrong area. Okay, what i have is a male King betta from petco (red and blue) thats darker colored but the fins are very bright. The female is a female veiltail from petsmart (white body with neon red fins). The setup is a 5.5 gallon filled with 4" of water covered with artificial plants floating around and a spongefilter (turned off for now). Well I kept the female in a glass jar in the tank for 24 hours and then released her. Within 10 min they were breeding and have been for the past 2 hours. i have been sitting by the aquarium to keep an eye on them this evening to watch for when she is done breeding. So far there isnt any injury at all, which i am thrilled about. As soon as i can I will post pictures. My question is what sort of variety should i expect from the fry as they grow mature? Such as veil tail vs giant and such. Thanks for reading!

gar man

cookies!!!
Dec 31, 2008
council bluffs,IA
UPDATE: I juss removed the female due to the fact she started eating eggs from the nest.. such a good mommy! haha

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
There is currently a lot of debate as to what exactly the king betta is. Some say its a different species (S. raja). If this is true the offspring will be hybrids. I read somewhere that this type of cross results in normally sized bettas with the appetite of a king. They grow quickly but don't get much if any bigger than normal bettas. As for tail types, I believe that veil is dominant so that should show up in the offspring assuming the female is not carrying a recessive short fin trait. So in other words, who knows what you'll get! Hahaha good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Considering that the "regular" Bettas commonly seen in the hobby are a melange of species and not true B. splendens it's highly likely that Betta raja is a manmade "species"as well.

gar man

cookies!!!
Dec 31, 2008
council bluffs,IA
well shortly after the eggs started hatching i thought that the male ate all the children, so i took him out and the tank sat for a day with the sponge filter running. well i thought it was time to try and breed the bettas again so i started using air tubing to syphon out the debris and saw shomething tiny dart away from the tube. well, turns out that there are about 30ish babies that were still alive! so i put in some bbs and hopefully from here i can raise them to adulthood!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Nice! Good luck with them! Also don't be afraid to cull a few. Sometimes fish have just too many babies to deal with rehoming. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store