?'s concerning live rock, limestone, live sand (long)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brandonb8

AC Members
Mar 21, 2004
Visit site
First off I just want to say that this site is awesome. I have recently become fascinated with fish aquariums and this site has allowed me to increase my knowledge related to fish. I started with a freshwater tank and utilized the wealth of information in the freshwater forum, but I recently got a 75 gallon tank and stand for an early graduation gift (college). I have done numerous searches concerning the questions I have but have yet to find the perfect answer. I am wanting to do a reef tank and was wondering if it would be possible to use limestone for most of my rock and seed it with a little live rock. Some websites have said this is perfectly fine, however I want to make sure that I understand correctly. My father owns a few rock quarries and I can get limestone for free. Also, I am going to be going to Jamaica for a week in May for a family vacation. My second question is would it be fine to take some sand from the ocean there, place it in numerous zip lock bags and place it in my tank when I get home. I have checked the regulations about this and it is legal to take sand just not corals. I am planning to allow my tank to run for around 1-2 months without adding any fish so that my limestone rock can cure and the tank stabilize. Does this all sound doable. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure that you guys realize that I have done some research about the questions I am asking. I do not want to be one of those guys that just posts a question and does not utilize the search function or contribute to the board. Any opinions, information, etc. is greatly appreciated in advance. Thank you very much.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
:) Welcome aboard!

Limestone is fine to use. Make sure that it's a harder grade--the stuff that crumbles under light pressure won't be what you want. You'll still want to add some live rock to seed the tank with the coralline algae and some other organisms, but you can use limestone for the base.

For sand--I probably would not. Unless you're able to collect it off the coast, from about 10-15 foot water, it may contain pollutants that you do not want. Even from a good location, packing, shipping, and unloading will cause some die off of organisms. If you can collect it, pack it, and mail it to your stateside addres next day the day you leave, you should get enough to survive to help out--but that might end up costing you about the same as just buying some from Inland Aquatics.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
My only concern about the limestone is that it be porous enough to actually become "live." If it's too dense, it may not be a very good biological filter. Of course, I have no idea how to judge that by looking at it.

As far as the sand, there is definitely a pollution risk. If you do it, don't pack the bags full. Think about it like it's a live animal, that needs air and water to survive.

brandonb8

AC Members
Mar 21, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. I think that the limestone will be ok but I am going to consult my father's geologist just in case. In regards to the sand, I am thinking about getting some while I am snorkeling. If I were to do this getting it from 10-15 foot deep water would this be ok. also, I am probably going to collect it the last day, preferably five or six hours before we leave. The flight to Florida is 3 1/2 hours and the flight from florida to Illinois is another 2 hours. Add in 4 hours worth of customs, airport wait, etc. and I am looking at around 15 hours from water to tank. As long as I leave water in the bags, should I be ok? Thanks again for all the help.

ben72227

AC Members
Jun 21, 2003
Arkansas
This should be fine. Make sure that when you pack the ziplocs in boxes, that you add insulation so it won't get too hot or too cold.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store