Glils twitching, not eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I have a geophagus steindachneri in my 75 gallon that hasn't eaten in two days now, and I'm a little concerned(Mostly because he has been the food hog since I bought him about a year ago). I tried to coax him into eating with frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp, but he didn't take. He shows hardly any interest in the food, but when he does try, he shakes his head pretty violently and spits it out. he did this twice in a row and his gillas are almost kind of twitchy afterward.(if it was just him not eating, I wouldn't be too concerned on just the second day) I have tried looking at him through the glass, but I can't see anything wrong with him. He doesn't seem distressed at all, just not eating. Is this something I should worry about(some kind of parasite maybe? I have seen the fish in this tank flash periodically) or am I just being really paranoid and he's just feeling not himself this week?

His tank is getting a little cramped since my fronts are getting bigger, and I'm wondering if the overstocking is finally starting to stress him out, so he might be getting sick? He's the first cichlid that I have ever owned, so he has a special place in my heart. I would be heartbroken to lose him :help2:
Tank specs:
standard 75 gal with misc. rocks, and sand
1 fluval fx5 and 1 aquatop CF 500 UV canister filters for filtration
7 juvenile frontosa about 3 1/2"(I'm moving them to a 200 gal in a few weeks, so I know that they are a little cramped at the moment :uhoh:)
1 geophagus steindachneri about 5"
pH: about 8(a little high for SA I know)
Ammo:0
Nitri:0
Nitra:30
I feed every other day changing from pellets, repashy meat pie, and mixed blood worms/mysis shrimp, the pellets are the main staple though.
My water change schedule is about 40-50% every sunday, I use prime for dechlor.
I have not had a new addition to the tank in 6+ months
I have Black dianomd blasting sand as my substrate
If I missed something please let me know. Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think the stocking could be part of the issue. All else seems to be in order from your post unless something internal ends up revealing a different indication.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Ok thank you for you input RB. I will put him into an empty 55 that I was cycling, see if it helps(I didn't want to put him in an uncycled tank, but if it will help, I will do it.)

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store