Red Devil sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluejd

AC Members
Nov 15, 2006
Looking for someone with expirience....
Background, I have a red devil that is approximately 9 yrs old. She was in a 55 gallon by herself until about a month ago. We moved her into her new 150 gallon home (still by herself). Tank has 2 fluval 404's and water is kept at 79. We did a fishless cycle on the 150, and when parameters were 0 ammonia, 0 NitrIte, and 20 NitrAte, we moved her in. Since we moved her, we haven't seen her eat, but food does seem to disappear in a day (sometimes)? She spends alot of time standing on her head staring at the bottom of the tank. No noticeable signs of any type of injury, fungus, or anything on her, and she dont have any problems swimming, fins are not clamped. The water paramaters are still good at 0,0,40. Her breeder tube is down. I guess my question is she seems mopy and just stares at the gravel at the bottom of the tank, is there anything I should be worried about or looking for?

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Could she be egg bound? has she ever laid eggs before? Maybe she wants a mate and is looking at the gravel to try to clear a breeding spot?

bluejd

AC Members
Nov 15, 2006
I guess it is entirely possible. She has layed eggs in the past alot. But hasn't layed them in at least a year. I have heard of "egg bound", but dont know if it is a problem or is she just looking for a place to lay them?

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I wish I could help you more. I don;t know how long RDs live, but if they have a long lifespan, and you now have room, perhaps another fish for her to talk to? She may perk up if you put a mirror in the tank for her to see? Just throwing out some ideas.

bluejd

AC Members
Nov 15, 2006
She perked up a little the last couple days. Actually became aggressive, attacking the glass when we come near the tank. Another fish i dont think would be an option, i think she would tear it apart. There's times during cleaning that she attacks me. I am really more concerned about not eating. Haven't physically seen her eat since we moved her.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bluejd

AC Members
Nov 15, 2006
Update she was fine after her episode and started eating again, but unfortunately she passed over nite. Hopefully it was quick...RIP my friend

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I'd toss in a school of about a dozen Giant Danios. That should definitely perk her up.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
So sorry about your loss. the ones with personality really grow on us, and it is just like losing a pet. Which we are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store