Cleaning the tank after birth of Angel Fry. Updated 11/30

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
My Platinum Pearl Scale with a Blue Gene Angels laid eggs. They went through the wiggle stage and now they are fry. They are free swiming but stay very low to the ground They are 5 days old. I have changed the water every day but the floor of the tank is covered with Fungus, dirt and a few dead fish. If I use tubing to suck up the dirt I get five fish with the dirt. How do I clean the bottom of the tank to see how many live ones I have and to get all the durt, fungus and dead ones out. No matter what I have tried I always get babies with the hose and I just want the dirt. Do I leave it like that and wait three week till they are grown enought to see the are an Angel?

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have them in a bare bottom tank. The eggs were laid on a plant In the parents tank. I removed the plant and out it in a bare bottom tank. Many of the eggs developed but the fungus and dead eggs fell to the bottom of the tank. So I need to clean the tank. Ive done water changes but when I try to clean the bottom it sucks up dead stuff and live fish. I wanted suggestions on how to do that and not hurt the fish. I am going to try with some tubing and see if I can get it all cleanrd up.
Thanks

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I picked up a smaller diameter tube (straw sized) and located some surgical tubing to use as a hose attached to the end of the straw sized tube..this should reduce pick up and allow you to pin point the siphon

coyotethug

AC Members
Jun 9, 2011
Rigid airline tubing and a 4 ft length of airline tubing. Make a mini siphon. Are you feeding bbs? If so turn off all lights and put a bright spotlight in one corner. The bbs will congregate there, so will the baby angels. You can now cover the area where they leave. If they aren't eating yet then start on one end and tap the bottom to scare the wigglers away. Then clean that area. No matter what it is time consuming. I have also used live blackworms and snails in fry tanks to consume the detritus. Both work well and won't hurt your fry. Just make sure you use vegetarian snails. I have used red ramshorns with good success but the blackworms worked great too. And eventually the fry take care of them anyways.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I appreciate your help. I have two tanks of Angel fry going at the same time Double Black Angels and Platinum Pearl. Now the first time I did this about 3 weeks ago I lost all my Platinums. I had gravel in the tank, (I know that is what killed the fish). This time I have two bare bottom tanks. In my parent tank I have three things for them to lay their eggs on a flower pot, a plant and a piece of slate. I was using Methylene Blue in the tank up untill they started to wiggle, then I started water changes and didn't add the MB. This time I decided to use Hydrogen Peroxide up untill they wiggled addig a cap full for 10 gallons of water every day. I just cleand the tank using your idea and I only have 10 fry out of about 100 in the Platinums and 37 out of 100 in the Double Black.The angels laid the eggs and and I gave them 7-9 hrs to finish what they needed to do. I then moved the plant the eggs were on by putting the plant in a water filled plastic dish and transporting them to the tank next to the parents. The plant is held down with two stones. My water tests fine and was cycled a head of time. I keep the temperature between 79-80 degrees. I put the HP in and move the plant. Some eggs turn white right away but I don't take the white eggs because I may disturb the rest. Eventually there are a lot of white eggs. As soon as they become wigglers I start water changes, Just taking the top 1/4 of the water. As you know I didn't do a real cleaning and pick up the junk at the bottom because I thought I would get fry going through the hose, they are hard to see. What am I doing wrong. Is the HP ok or should I go back to MB? Should I put any salt in the water? I am using a ten gallon tank and a 15. With plans to put each type of angel in their own 40 gallon breader. Can you see where I may be going wrong. At this point I have a third tank with a plant and wigglers but there are only about 10 the rest of the eggs turned white. Now the platinums are wanting to breed again can I use the tank I have been using or do I need to empty the tank and recycle it again. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Last edited:

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Up date to my last post " cleaning my tank"

I now have two Platinum Fry left. By this afternoon I will have lost them all I am sure.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..so whats going on? a little sentence tells us nothing ..do you want help saving them?

what size of tank are they in
what fish are in the tank
what filters are on the tank
what is your water test telling you?
how often do you change your water and how much?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you may not be doing anything wrong.

the siphon I described is used primarily to remove uneaten food..and btw wen I siphon I siphon into a white bucket in case I suck up any wigglers..usually tho leave the fry in with the parents who usually do a great job until the fry are free swimming..I prefer to move the fry into water from the parents tank and slowly start changing that..to reduce the shock

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I can't leave the eggs with the parents they will be eaten. I did just what you said and emptied it into a bucket and checked for the fry. I now have two fish left.
Can you tell me why most of my eggs turn white? I know they are Male and Female.
Right now I have a second batch in another tank the eggs and fish are on a leaf some are fish hanging from the edge of the leaf some are still in the wiggling stage. The leaf has a lot of fungus on it but the only way I can get it off is to peal it off. If I peal the fungus off I will loose some of the wigglers. What do I do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store