Male Angel beating up Female

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wakingupnow

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Nassau, Bahamas.
Real Name
Jessica
Hello,

I have a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium with 2 marbled Angels and some Corydoras. I've had the female for over a year and got the male about 6 months ago. Initially, they spawned every other time I would do a PWC. Recently though, the female has not been laying eggs and the male has been very aggressive towards her, picking at her eyes and tail. She's all beat up and I don't know what to do. I've been doing smaller feedings multiple times a day to try and get him away from the female and eat instead.

Anything I can do? I must say that I only have my 55 gallon now, all other tanks have been taken down :(. Thanks.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Best bet is to remove the female to a qt..you may be able to re introduce her back to the tank at a later time.
this happens to breeding pairs on occasion..they may just need a bit of time apart

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Could you put a divider in the tank? I used a plastic coated wire shelf to divide my 55 gal when I had issues like that. It has approx 1 inch gaps between the wires (1 inch squares). I have also used a sheet of plexiglass for the same purpose, but with that you have to have good water flow/filtration/heat on both sides.

Once the female has plumped up and recovered, you might be able to put them back together again.

wren

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store